Home The Bridge
Options

The Big Book Of Behold Advice WAS Shut Down In Protest (Now Back Up, See OP)

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, I agree, which is damned short-sighted of them. There'd be a lot more money in it long term if they did - happy customers are cheap marketing.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    That study needs to be redone accounting for the internet age. Most people I know will give a good wait staff a decent tip, and maybe post a good review, but if they get bad service they flame them on every review site and social media outlet available.

You’re not wrong there. :)
  • Options
    I fully endorse this boycot its the only language tp will understand
  • Options
    Hello all. The Big Book Of Behold Advice, The Little Book Of Cadet Advice, The Super Hyper Stats/Backend Sheets and My Own Datacore Analysis Sheets have all shut down in protest of the offer wall. The message is as follows:

"Finding it unsafe and predatory, we do not believe the Offer Wall is an acceptable addition to the game we all love. We cannot in good conscience support a game that employs this system. While the Offer Wall remains, this resource and certain related resources will not continue. Thank you to the players for your years of feedback and support.*

-The Big Book team (Automaton_2000, StarsAndGarters, BigMcLargeHuge, Plain SimpleGarak and Captain Idol)"

I wholehearted applaud and support your collective decision.. thank you for being a big voice in our community and taking a stand
  • Options
    Aight kids. We're still working on adding in all the bot snapshots and commentary, but our tiers are in. Commentary is going to be added throughout the day as our jobs permit. Right now, despite having tiered most purples, we're just going to be focusing on the golds - as this is a lot to port over.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jz052Ug0SI9h3fSwaxCHi6KQoDAfWNCXlmXqYmB_mdw/edit?usp=sharing

As also mentioned, this is integrated into izausome's eXo bot and behold helper tool (our bot essentially functions the same as DataCore does for the BBoB commentary). If anyone would like to join our discord server for bot access, that can be arranged. We run a community chat, so we're used to having people hang around.

This is pretty cool. Thanx for posting it.
  • Options
    Guest  wrote: »
    I personally do not see the BBBA being taken down as a punishment to the player. But rather I see the offer wall being put into the game as the punishment to the player.

Well said Internet Rando!
  • Options
    Hello all. The Big Book Of Behold Advice, The Little Book Of Cadet Advice, The Super Hyper Stats/Backend Sheets and My Own Datacore Analysis Sheets have all shut down in protest of the offer wall. The message is as follows:

"Finding it unsafe and predatory, we do not believe the Offer Wall is an acceptable addition to the game we all love. We cannot in good conscience support a game that employs this system. While the Offer Wall remains, this resource and certain related resources will not continue. Thank you to the players for your years of feedback and support.*

-The Big Book team (Automaton_2000, StarsAndGarters, BigMcLargeHuge, Plain SimpleGarak and Captain Idol)"

Tried holding your breath ? Or just maybe trow a tantrum... Those are valid forms of bulling to get what you want as well...
  • Options
    Hi!

I’m retiring the DataCore bot and website by the end of the month. They are open source if anyone wants to pick them up.

This is partly due to the scummy direction the game is taking (adware, Offer Wall) and partly due to the project becoming a big time and money sink for me.

Live long and prosper!

As someone that plays on the PC version, I didn't think this offer wall thing would affect me, but not having access to the voyage calculator will be a huge loss, so that might mean that I'm going to have to stop playing too.

Would you please be able to post the logic used for the voyage calculator? I'm not sure I'd be able to replicate it, but I could at least give it a go.

If anyone knows of a way to convert the data extract to something usable, that would be helpful too.

Thanks
  • Options
    Hi!

I’m retiring the DataCore bot and website by the end of the month. They are open source if anyone wants to pick them up (see datacore.app for links and details).

This is partly due to the scummy direction the game is taking (adware, Offer Wall) and partly due to the project becoming a big time and money sink for me.

Live long and prosper!

Well this was a punch in the gut to wake up to. Datacore is an invaluable tool. I use it every single day. I’m not sure I can manage regular 10 hour voyages without it. Datacore will often get me to 11.5 hour voyages. I’ll miss it. Thank you for making it
  • Options
    =GBP= Bear wrote: »
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    "Don't make this hard on us,
    I will miss you,
    If you just go away"
    - Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)

For the most part I've manged to keep quiet about this this last week but this seems like a good opportunity to express how this all makes me feel, and perhaps add a different perspective for the people going after the BB people for "punishing the players".

They spent countless hours and countless money over many years creating tools that many people used to varying degrees, but over time those tools shifted from pure luxury to something closer to necessity for a lot of folks (not me personally, I feel I need to make this distinction). These tools are like high speed internet, at first they were just nice to have but as more and more of daily life began to rely on them, they became more essential for daily life.

So in those terms while yes the BB folks are free to do with these tools what they please, the people who grew to depend on these resources are now feeling betrayed while going through withdrawal, and it is understandable to me that they may react harshly and say things in a harsh way. Not excusing it, but I understand why it is happening.

The BB folks were out front all week calling attention to this issue, using their well-deserved/well-earned elevated status to shine a spotlight on it. The heroes of the BB were taking a stand, saying they would be quitting the game in protest of this move, and the people were sad, but they understood.

But then they didn't quit.

After many dozens of forum posts and posts on other platforms about this and "Talk"ing all week about how they were ending their podcast, it hasn't really happened. The podcast may be over, but the comments and appearances continue.

I do not believe the BB people understood just how important they were to the community, how hard many people would take their sudden departure, and how much damage they are repeatedly doing to the community every time they resume their never-ending farewell tour. They are like the ghosts of martyrs who fell on their swords publicly but then returned to give their own eulogies, preside over their own funerals, and lead their own memorial services. It is emotionally painful for people to see this happen because dozens of times already we have begun to get closure and heal our mental wounds only to have those wounds forcibly ripped open again and again by the returning ghosts. Over enough time, this is the recipe for slowly turning understanding into resentment.

Let us process your loss, or return to us. This limbo state of indefinite termination is painful for everyone, as evidenced by the emotionally charged comments in this thread and many others.

Well. Automaton_2000 was, and I repeat, WAS in our fleet.

And he HAS quit.

Fact.

We had a message from him on our Discord channel to let us know that he had quit, so there goes the Big Book and a great player, fleetmate and helper to anyone who asked.

Those are the facts, so please don't say otherwise.

Everyone in our fleet understands and agrees with his reasons for leaving the game and though it saddens us, we all support his decision fully.

Wait he’s completely gone from the game? Geez. That really is a loss for the game and this community. I wish he at least left the Big Book up as was for someone else to take over though
This discussion has been closed.