Home The Bridge
Options

The Big Book Of Behold Advice WAS Shut Down In Protest (Now Back Up, See OP)

Comments

• Options
    Here's a question for the protesters, whether it's one of our intrepid player-made resource creators, "whales", or even VIP 0 F2P players refusing to play or reinstall the app on their phones. What conditions would need to be met for you to feel this has been satisfactorily addressed enough for you to feel comfortable with resuming? To be clear, I'm not asking anyone to open negotiations here and commit to resuming if x, y, and z were done by TP. I'm just asking what x, y, and z are that would make you feel comfortable about resuming?

I ask because I think a lot of us are upset but don't really know what would be "enough" to make it right. It's easier to point out what the problem is than to identify the most satisfying solution, and harder still if, like me, you don't speak tech and/or legalese well enough to know what those conditions should be. Most of us don't have created player-made resources to take down in protest, so we can't follow your lead on that. But we can get behind a clear rubric to measure TP's response and follow-up(s) that we may not understand well enough to set on our own.

Speaking, not as a protestor as I've not uninstalled, but someone debating if I want to keep playing in the current climate, I'd like to see some sign of commitment to the game itself.

I know some posters think there has been an exaggerated response to the offer wall from the community, but from here it looks like a storm of discontent has been brewing for a bit and just needed something to trigger it, and that was the offer wall, and the cavalier approach to the players it displayed.

So I'm curious at what TP/WRG has in store for the game, if the offer wall is just a blip - as all games and companies have - then fair enough, but if it's a sign of where the game is heading, then that'll be a shame and probably see a slow exodus.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no issues with them hanging it up and calling it quits. I was more concerned when they were turning it off as a protest.

I'm hoping someone will be picking this up and continuing on their fine work.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    "How /dare/ your protest inconvenience ME? That's not a good way to get your message across. There are better ways to protest!"
    -- every Karen, anywhere, ever.

The fact you're complaining about the protests in and of itself shows the protests are effective and that the message got out there.

I don't think you're supposed to use that word. Now, they are claiming the K-Word is the new N-Word......

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    "How /dare/ your protest inconvenience ME? That's not a good way to get your message across. There are better ways to protest!"
    -- every Karen, anywhere, ever.

The fact you're complaining about the protests in and of itself shows the protests are effective and that the message got out there.

I don't think you're supposed to use that word. Now, they are claiming the K-Word is the new N-Word......

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

John Mulaney’s bit on certain words being worse than others is really important in times like these. :)
  • Options
    ShadowPresenceShadowPresence ✭✭✭✭
    MRNelson wrote: »
    OK, I'm not even going to read all of the previous comments. In my opinion, this is a foolish and short sighted knee jerk reaction.

The "pay wall" as it is referred to, is NO different than any other similar system in games that I have seen. It is NOT unique to Timelines. It is a mechanism for games to offset the costs of making games, and gives other games exposure that they may not have otherwise. The Privacy issues have been adequately addressed and communicated to us. Your only remaining objection would seem to be that Timelines has dared to show that they don't want to lose money by giving the players the game for FREE.

My only concern here is that it takes away from the game play time for Timelines. Personally, I don't see this feature going away. If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to use it. For your part, I suppose it gives you more time to devote to other things. Some players WILL miss your input, others will NOT.

I disagree with what you've said. First off, for my part, I believe that if a game/app has been able to catch my attention for as long as STT has, then they deserve any money I choose to invest in it.

The matter at hand is whether our personal information and data has been exploited by an outside company. And based on the fact that no real updated statement has been released to us, that they now know that they have messed up and are in regular communication with their legal team to figure out how to minimize their losses. This is data breach. It's a huge deal!

If the creators of TBB choose to shut it down in protest, then you should ask yourself why people who have been so invested in the game are now taking such a stand. Look into the facts!

But I'm speaking to a wall aren't I? I'm not sure that anyone who's "not even going to read all the previous comments" is really going to listen to anything. But seriously, dont you think that calling it a "short sighted knee jerk reaction" is ironic considering you just claimed to not read all the comments? There's a word for that...
  • Options
    Mirror M'ressMirror M'ress ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    The sense of entitlement in parts of this thread is mindboggling.

Thanks to all the Big Book et al crew for your kind and generous assistance. I honestly cannot understand how anyone can have the audacity to criticize anything you're doing here after thousands of hours of work given for free for the benefit of all. Genuinely makes me sick.

Then you are quite ignorant of human nature. There will be a kickback from the community when the databases and tools that have become the cornerstone for making sense of the game are withdrawn by the creators. While they are free to do as they wish, these actions have more of a negative effect on the community rather than the developers.

basically this

also thank you eXodus for reactivating the eXobook atleast there is some sort of resource to replace what these traitors removed
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all the Big Book et al crew for your kind and generous assistance. I honestly cannot understand how anyone can have the audacity to criticize anything you're doing here after thousands of hours of work given for free for the benefit of all. Genuinely makes me sick.

Then you are quite ignorant of human nature. There will be a kickback from the community when the databases and tools that have become the cornerstone for making sense of the game are withdrawn by the creators. While they are free to do as they wish, these actions have more of a negative effect on the community rather than the developers.

basically this

also thank you eXodus for reactivating the eXobook atleast there is some sort of resource to replace what these traitors removed

If there had been nothing but a period after "Exobook", I would have awesomed this post......

Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options

basically this

If there had been nothing but a period after "Exobook", I would have awesomed this post......

oh really.....so you admit you have bias....cool i'll make note of that
  • Options

basically this

“Traitors.” Do you have anything to add that isn’t blatantly toxic or are you just a troll?

jesus so this is what i get repayed with for destroying DDM eh? the community turns on me when i dare voice my mind....some trekkies you lot are
  • Options

basically this

“Traitors.” Do you have anything to add that isn’t blatantly toxic or are you just a troll?

jesus so this is what i get repayed with for destroying DDM eh? the community turns on me when i dare voice my mind....some trekkies you lot are

So it’s a “no” to my first question as well as a “yes” to the second. When the urge to be a gatekeeping troll passes, let us know.

i think you are the toxic one my friend i truly pity you i truly truly pity you
  • Options

basically this

So it’s a “no” to my first question as well as a “yes” to the second. When the urge to be a gatekeeping troll passes, let us know.

also if i were gatekeeping i wouldn't be trying to tell you toxic players off gatekeeping is what Captain Idol is doing by whining and crying about the offer wall when he can just as easily not use it.....also FYI the offer wall or something like it is used in darn near EVERY mobile game
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

basically this

I’d keep going but I don’t want to make Shan mad. Shame the Ignore button doesn’t show up in the mobile browser version of the forum...
  • Options
    Mirror M'ressMirror M'ress ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Comment moderated. ~Shan
  • Options
    Gatekeeping: The activity of controlling, and usually limiting, general access to something.

the deletion of the BBoB sure sounds more like gatekeeping than my attempts to defend TP's statement
  • Options
    It's understandable to dispute whether players shutting down a resource they crafted as a labor of love hurts the player community more than it hurts the company who has wronged our community. Every strike goes through that same communal soul-searching, and clearly this one is going through it, too. But "traitors," @Shinzon of Remus? Really? Come on. That's absurd hyperbole and surely you know that. It's hard enough keeping this community together right now as it is without that kind of antagonism.

yeah well if the shoe fits
This discussion has been closed.