Home The Bridge
Options

The Big Book Of Behold Advice WAS Shut Down In Protest (Now Back Up, See OP)

Comments

• Options
    [10F] gobolts07 [10F] gobolts07 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the blue pen of Shan will be descending upon this thread.

Hope she has had her coffee.
  • Options
    MRNelson wrote: »

If you had read the previous comments, you might have realized that the privacy concerns have not been addressed. What the boilerplate form message from TP said, and what IronSource clearly says that they do, are oppositional to each other.......

Ironically, this thread (along with the others related to the offer wall) would be much shorter if people like you actually read them first, and realized that, no, our privacy concerns have NOT been adequately addressed. But hey, why bother reading stuff and basing your opinion on facts when you can shout your uninformed opinion just as loud? Oh yeah, because nobody takes it seriously.

As Colonel Potter of M*A*S*H would say, Horse Hockey! - Reading a forum DOES NOT constitute gathering facts, it only informs you of other people's opinions. That's NOT the same thing. We ALL got the internal mail regarding the pay wall, and privacy issues. And I repeat - NO ONE is forcing you to use these offers, which are NOT any different than any other game uses to generate money. If you don't use the offers, there are NO privacy concerns.

I for one, believe TP when they say that they are NOT selling our personal information. Besides which, I am fairly certain that they don't even know my name. The only personal information that they have is my EMAIL address (at least for myself anyway) - and that's only a disposable address. Only my immediate family knows my REAL Email address. What you choose to give away on other websites is your own business and risk.

finally someone laws down the law
  • Options
    MRNelsonMRNelson ✭✭✭

I disagree with what you've said. First off, for my part, I believe that if a game/app has been able to catch my attention for as long as STT has, then they deserve any money I choose to invest in it.

The matter at hand is whether our personal information and data has been exploited by an outside company
    . . . . This is data breach. It's a huge deal!
    . . .
    . . .
    But seriously, dont you think that calling it a "short sighted knee jerk reaction" is ironic considering you just claimed to not read all the comments? There's a word for that...

Exactly WHAT personal information do you think that the game has of yours that could even be shared? The only thing they have is an Email Address, and then ONLY if you registered your account so that you can switch to another device!
  • Options
    Mirror M'ressMirror M'ress ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    MRNelson wrote: »

I disagree with what you've said. First off, for my part, I believe that if a game/app has been able to catch my attention for as long as STT has, then they deserve any money I choose to invest in it.

The matter at hand is whether our personal information and data has been exploited by an outside company
    . . . . This is data breach. It's a huge deal!
    . . .
    . . .
    But seriously, dont you think that calling it a "short sighted knee jerk reaction" is ironic considering you just claimed to not read all the comments? There's a word for that...

Exactly WHAT personal information do you think that the game has of yours that could even be shared? The only thing they have is an Email Address, and then ONLY if you registered your account so that you can switch to another device!

also it looks like your attacks on TP were in vain Timelines Communty as was this petty "protest" as certain people are bringing the BBoB back
  • Options
    MRNelsonMRNelson ✭✭✭

You really should take a few moments to actually read the link posted concerning the IronSource company. It clearly states, straight from the horse's mouth, that what they claim their software does differs greatly from what the "feel good" message {a week overdue} says happens. According to IronSource themselves, they can mine information whether you open the Wall MalWare or not.

IronSource can try to mine information, but if there's no information there, they won't get anything.

Or to put it another way, you can dig a hole in a mountain and call it a gold mine, but that doesn't mean that you will get any gold out.
  • Options
    MRNelsonMRNelson ✭✭✭
    Sorry, shan - I should have known better, and I apologize for getting others so worked up on this. I do honestly believe that there's no problem. For myself, I haven't used the wall yet, and since I only give this email address out here, there's no way to mine any further information about me here. I'm usually the guy that fixes problems other relatives get into by clicking on bad stuff.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    At this point, a 3rd party test of the app should be run to see what's really going on here. Otherwise, decisions are based on this vague, lurking threat, or (if you prefer, ignorance and disregard for one's own personal information)

I volunteer. I have an unused iPhone 5s (12.4.7) on which I just “Reset All Settings”, so I can load & test if y’all will help me.

EDIT: For the record, I spend money on this game, and would do so again, if this question is resolved. I don’t know if that makes me biased or not, but I would like to help.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    *deleted duplicate comment*
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removed 2 recent comments.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    What info do people think is going to be taken and sold? If you are on iOS or Android you can just use an email just for the game and use prepaid cards to purchase then TP does not really have any more information than any other site provided you ignore the surveys. Star Trek Timelines is not like Facebook which has all of your personal photos, information, posts, preferences and is selling them to Russian intelligence, spy software companies and every other unscrupulous agency that will pay them money. TP has even said they have set a default of not sharing your info which Facebook refused to do with Cambridge Analytica. Is the complaint from people on other platforms than iOS and Android?
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    [DCC] bebe wrote: »
    What info do people think is going to be taken and sold? You can use an email just for the game and use prepaid cards to purchase then TP does not really have any more information than any other site provided you ignore the surveys. Star Trek Timelines is not like Facebook which has all of your personal photos, information, posts, preferences and is selling them to Russian intelligence, spy software companies and every other unscrupulous agency that will pay them money. TP has even said they have set a default of not sharing your info which Facebook refused to do with Cambridge Analytica.

TP/WRG may not be collecting, storing or selling our data and that's not the big issue that we're protesting. We're protesting the new collaboration between TP/WRG and ironSource with the inclusion of ironSources SDK in STT. We want to know when the ironSource SDK starts collecting our info: 1) when the game loads, 2) when we open the Offer Wall but don't do any offers or 3) only after we start an offer. We also want to know what info is collected by ironSource since they openly brag that they can and do collect end user (that's your's and mine) info even when privacy settings are set to deny them access to info.

Yes Ironsource has a website where they talk a big game to get companies to work with them. What information do you have on the game that you are afraid is going to be taken and sold? Tilting Point has access to a very limited amount of information from the players. Much less than most games and companies. I fail to see the harm if a backup email is sold to advertisers. Heck, Equifax, multiple banks, and other businesses already had most people’s information and gave it to the world for free when they improperly secured it and allowed it to be hacked. What info do you think Tilting Point has that is not known from dozens of other things you do on the internet like google, amazon, Facebook, and other assorted businesses that required much more personal information than Tilting Point? If you are still worried then ignore the offer wall. Ignore the surveys. Change your game email to one you don’t use much. Use a prepaid card. Unless you can prove somehow Ironsource is going to take other information from you besides the limited info in the game which you can take precautions against I see no damages or cause for alarm.

Your argument is based on the ASSUMPTION that ignoring the wall means ironSource doesn’t have access to your data. But this has NOT been verified. You’re also making the assumption that the data they can collect is limited to the game. This has also NOT been verified. ironSource deals in information. I doubt they care one way or another how many chrons we all have stashed. So what information DO they care about? Your guess is as good as mine. There’s an infinite number of reasons that any given player may not want to share their data with ironSource. They’re under no obligation to justify those reasons to you, TP, or ironSource. That’s what PRIVACY means.

I have used offer walls in other games and have used this offer wall in this game and not had any problems. You accuse me of making assumptions without proof then make accusations without proof. What proof do you have that Ironsource can get your information if you don’t use the offer wall? What proof do you have that they can get into your device outside of the game? I understand people being concerned about privacy issues but where does it end? Is your Wi-FI safe? Is your internet company? Is being online at all safe? You seem to have written yourself into a corner where you will only feel safe if TP can prove a negative or abandons a project they put money into and end a revenue stream. Neither seems possible or likely. Even if TP was somehow able to prove that Ironsource was not taking your info I am not sure that would satisfy you. Your side wanted a statement on privacy from TP and assurance that players’ information was safe but when TP gave that you were still not satisfied.

thank you apollo....you took the words i wanted to say but was too angry to manage and said them
This discussion has been closed.