Home The Bridge

Crew Retrieval Introduction Discussion

Comments

• IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    IceCat wrote: »
    IceCat wrote: »
    How "magnanimously" WRG of WRG. Assuming we're lucky enough to get a Constellation from a Scan that requires ISM (outside of the one free scan per day), we then need ADDITIONAL ISM just to OPEN that Constellation. I've got my marshmallows out to roast over the dying embers of this game.

Are you absolutely incapable of saying anything positive about this game? If you hate it so much, maybe you should stop playing. Or at least stop whining about it on here 🙄

This is a pretty big cluster fudge for a feature supposedly to help the players. I am usually very pro TP but this really pisses me off. I have had to spend all day encouraging, cajoling, pleading players in my fleet to get their dailies done. We are a max starbase fleet full of players but we have always been more casual. Up to 25 players to have finished their dailies. Are we gonna make 30? I hope so. 40? Definitely not. Am I supposed to kick players who don’t make dailies? How do I know who didn’t? Is that fair? Is that fun? Are we supposed to merge with another fleet? This is driving casual players away and frustrating long term daily players like myself. More than 20 should not be asked. This is ridiculous. Am I supposed to bug players every day and slowly watch the counter go up with anxiety we won’t make it? Is that fun? TP set a ridiculously high bar that will have large ramifications on this game and Ben seemed to be completely clueless to that fact. Haven’t heard anything from TP about it as this has gone live which means fleets right now are being destroyed and players are right now leaving the game. What a dumb move.

My comments are specifically referring to the fact that he constantly buries the game, the company, players who disagree and seems to hate life in general. Go through his comment history. It's nothing but a string of negative, bitter whining. And frankly, myself and others are tired of hearing it.

As for the feature itself, I have my own feelings and concerns, some of which you have mentioned. It wasn't the fact he was critiquing the new feature, as it was unnecessary "I've got my marshmallows out to roast over the dying embers of this game" comment. Which is fairly standard for him.

As I said, I do have my own issues that have me concerned this feature won't work in actual execution without major problems for a lot of people. However, I'm willing to keep an open mind and see how it functions in practice.

The concerns you have brought up yourself are valid, and I'm glad that you are speaking out. Maybe this will lead to some adjustments being made. We'll have to see.

I hope my (our) misgivings are off base, and it will turn out better than expected. I'll judge it once I've actually had a chance to use it. But not before.

Don't like my comments? Then pass on by without reading or replying to them, simple as that. When I see problems with the game, I'm gonna call them out. I'm not going to sugar coat everything like you white-knights do. Like Jack Nicholson said "You can't handle the truth". If WRG does something (or many things) egregiously, I am going to call them out on it. If you can't handle that, then just skip over anything I write and pretend I didn't post. Keep your eyes closed, and live contentedly knowing that you can't (and won't) see the harm WRG is doing to the game.

There's a big difference between pointing out flaws or areas that could be improved and constantly crapping on everything.

To use your own words, "when WRG does something (or many things)" right, are you going to give them credit or praise too? If not, that says a lot about your intent or sincerity.

To also use your own words, you could pass by what I said as well, without replying. Particularly when the part you chose to quote wasn't even directed towards you.

You come across as a troll, and I know from speaking with others, I'm not the only one who feels that way. Hence, why I spoke up.

There is plenty of good and bad with the game. No one's eyes are closed. Most people just tend to look at things with a more balanced point of view.

I can handle the truth. What I can't handle is a constant stream of negativity. There is a big difference.
  • Wait. So retrieval requires quantum. But quantum takes 16 days to recharge. Meaning crew retrieval is only useful maybe twice a month without costing a lot of DIL? So the new update is a convoluted process to get a behold using dil but we could already use dil to get at least one behold from premium packs? What’s the point for players? Whole thing is just a money grab with enough moving parts to hopefully distract players from noticing

BINGO!
    01000010 01101001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to recall Ben saying that both Quantum and ISM would be available in the new rewards structure...is my memory playing tricks on me?
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait. So retrieval requires quantum. But quantum takes 16 days to recharge. Meaning crew retrieval is only useful maybe twice a month without costing a lot of DIL? So the new update is a convoluted process to get a behold using dil but we could already use dil to get at least one behold from premium packs? What’s the point for players? Whole thing is just a money grab with enough moving parts to hopefully distract players from noticing

I used 900 quantum and it will take nearly 19 days for it to fully refill. Unless we get free quantum, my third retrieval for the temporary achievement will need to be something other than a 5* crew.

I'll try to target an incomplete 4* crew that was recently added to the portal (700 quantum), or I may have to just sacrifice 300 quantum and rid myself of the useless 2* polestar.
  • ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    I seem to recall Ben saying that both Quantum and ISM would be available in the new rewards structure...is my memory playing tricks on me?

Quantum will only be available by spending dilithium or waiting. Unless something changes that they haven't told us about.
    Wait. So retrieval requires quantum. But quantum takes 16 days to recharge. Meaning crew retrieval is only useful maybe twice a month without costing a lot of DIL? So the new update is a convoluted process to get a behold using dil but we could already use dil to get at least one behold from premium packs? What’s the point for players? Whole thing is just a money grab with enough moving parts to hopefully distract players from noticing

Yep. Looks like you've got a handle on it.
  • ChaosChild wrote: »
    I'm just going to leave this here. A sign of things to come.
    d6884f26uw72.jpg

Snap! I got one, I got one! Literally one star...
  • ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't got any crew slots, so used my uncommon and rare polestars to do 2x retrieval for achievements. Also picked-up 2x legendary ones. Plan to wait for quantum to recharge then pick a crew I want once I have more polestars and space to keep the crew. Got a Troi constellation, but didn't hit empath sadly.
  • UluruUluru ✭✭✭
    I'm not so excited about this new feature. It will take ages to get the right polarstars for my desired crew. Even then this specific crew will only be a chance out of a pool crew with the same traits. - I hoped for more as they hyped the new feature.
  • Webberoni wrote: »
    I used 900 quantum and it will take nearly 19 days for it to fully refill. Unless we get free quantum, my third retrieval for the temporary achievement will need to be something other than a 5* crew.

I'll try to target an incomplete 4* crew that was recently added to the portal (700 quantum), or I may have to just sacrifice 300 quantum and rid myself of the useless 2* polestar.
    Or ... you can just decide that doing so is not worth it to get nothing more than a skill constellation.
  • ChaosChild wrote: »
    d6884f26uw72.jpg

We need to be able to use these to exclude 1* crew from the results so they have some use.
  • After using it, the positives would be, it's better and easier to use then i expected with the ability to make the choice of who you want down to a smaller list then i thought would happen and it appears down to one with some luck. It will be nice to add new crew or get extra stars instead of using honor.
    On the downside i feel the constellations are an unnecessary step in the process along with ISM, i cant see the point of either except to make money. The credit cost is to expensive and locks many of the lower and middle players out who need credits to constantly level crew. Finally as its been mentioned it will be very detrimental to some fleets with the minimum of 20 fully active players needed, was this really thought about?
    In conclusion, it's a good add on to the game but it is a bit of a luxury feature, maybe used once a month if lucky not the game changer that it was described as, its better to under promise and over delivery then the other way around.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    d6884f26uw72.jpg

We need to be able to use these to exclude 1* crew from the results so they have some use.

This is brilliant! I want that!

I just got a Starfleet polestar from my Janeway constellation. Using it as excluder would be so much more beneficial than it is now.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
    Webberoni wrote: »

Or ... you can just decide that doing so is not worth it to get nothing more than a skill constellation.

I think it will definitely be worth it in the long run, since we'll wind up sitting for weeks or months while waiting for a specific polestar, by which time quantum will long since have refilled.
    There could be another polestar caller an "inverter", which could be paired with any other polestar to rule out that trait (basically changing it from an "equal to" to "not equal to").

If combined with a 1* polestar, then it filters the options to exclude all 1* crew. If combined with a jury rigger polestar, then it filters the options to exclude all jury riggers. Once combined, the inverted polestar still only requires 1 of the 4 slots.
  • PavelHPavelH ✭✭✭
    Why is there such a huge gap for quantum recharging? It's not guaranteed that you'll get a (good) 5* unless you highroll w/ the right traits and the retrieval. It also means nobody will ever use the rare/uncommon polestars as they'll actively make your gameplay worse. Also by the time we get one more recharge we'll be sitting on 10s of thousands of ISM w/o anything to spend them on.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    PavelH wrote: »
    Why is there such a huge gap for quantum recharging? It's not guaranteed that you'll get a (good) 5* unless you highroll w/ the right traits and the retrieval. It also means nobody will ever use the rare/uncommon polestars as they'll actively make your gameplay worse. Also by the time we get one more recharge we'll be sitting on 10s of thousands of ISM w/o anything to spend them on.

There is no cap on ISM, so it is safe to just keep it. Or you just scan it away if it burns a hole in your pocket.

I think on the long run ISM will be more scarce than quantum.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    d6884f26uw72.jpg

Snap! I got one, I got one! Literally one star...

We joke, but if you're a new player and want to finish off that 1/2* collection, filtering on that rarity is not crazy. I'll never use it on my main account, but I can understand why it's in the game.
    How do we recycle polestars? The two common and one uncommon are an insult and are sat there laughing at me.

Ben confirmed that there's no way to recycle polestars. Once you've got them you're stuck with them until you use them.
  • Little disappointed we had to choose Data Q. Makes perfect sense for a tutorial, no complaints there. But I didn't realize this for Ben's Demo, so I was super excited about getting a fifth star on Irina.

(Instead, I used my constellations to get a third star on Warship EMA, which is quite the "consolation" prize.)
    How do we recycle polestars? The two common and one uncommon are an insult and are sat there laughing at me.

Ben confirmed that there's no way to recycle polestars. Once you've got them you're stuck with them until you use them.
    He also said implied there was something planned for this. The entire system is being rolled out in successive pieces, so there's more to come.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    So now that I've had some time to look at the whole feature and try it out, here's my personal feedback:

Overall I like it. It gives us something to plan for and look forward to, while not forcing us to invest any more time into it than we want to.

What I don't like:

It's not really a way to target crew that we want. The RNG component is way too strong for that.

I think that could be partially solved by making it easier to filter for crew rarity. Create two separate constellations, one for 1*, 2* & 3* and one for 4* & 5* polestars.

As the rarity constellations will mainly be available through top 1000 event ranking and campaigns (I assume the premium tier) there really shouldn't be a risk of getting anything worse than 4* or 5* polestars from them.
    If people go for a top 1000 rank just to get the constellation and then pull a 1*, 2*, 3* polestar, it will feel more or less like a pull from the demerit packs last year.

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanon wrote: »
    On that Timelines Talks, 'Ben' opened a constellation and several polestars popped out. Why does that not happen IRL?
    Was that a constellation? I think it was a pack in the time portal.

Where do we get those polestar packs from?

Time Portal. Live today.

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I decided to do the tutorial, since Data Q is honor anyway, I got all the way to the "retrieve" step, hit the button, and my Kindle crashed the game. I wonder what will happen when I go back in.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*