Home The Bridge

Crew Retrieval Introduction Discussion

Comments

• IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    More than 20 players completing dailies should not be asked.

Less than 40 people getting their dailies done is pretty unreasonable actually. Seriously, it takes less than 10 minutes except for shuttles and, formerly, scans.

I know one dude who's pretty casual. Like never scored beyond 50K in an event casual. And he gets his dailies done baring a family vacation.

TP took something optional and made it mandatory, not just for a player but for that player’s fleet mates as well. It is ill conceived. It makes the game less fun and will add to burnout.

TP took something very easy and made it easier. And then rewarded you for doing it.

Not seeing the problem.

You will.

No, I really won't. Its a low effort freemium games. You push some buttons, get some loot, log off. Once in awhile the loot is pretty good.

No one's asking anyone to be less casual. The game doesn't demand you play in events. You just push some buttons and then log off.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crash41 wrote: »
    I'm still unclear on what Crew Retrieval is all about. Is it like unfreezing from Cryostasis, or is it something else?
    What do the Constellations do? Is it like the Citation badges used to upstar your crew?

the short version: Crew Retrieval lets you mix and match certain traits, skills, and rarity to give yourself a chance to get ANY crew who is available in the portal.

this handy chart was posted here earlier, many thanks to Henning1105 for making it :)

79vwss147b94.jpg
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    You can all access the Crew Retrieval screen? I was able to get an Ambassador Troi constellation from my scan but can’t do anything with it:

c8nqcqobp03b.jpeg

Fun fact: if you still had an active session going on the app, you probably were able to take one last old-style scan before restarting to look for new features, then immediately run the revamped scan and get one extra step closer on that impossible temporary achievement for number of scans.

Not impossible if you watch an ad after the free daily scan, then wait for the cooldown, then scan again with the free 100 ISM from daily rewards, then watch another ad (unsure of exact length on this particular timer, although I did it 20 minutes after a 2X cadet):

78bad0eav7wv.jpeg

y63am25lfn08.jpeg

hs06zqa6e8ul.jpeg

This seems to confirm the ISM costs that @Mirror Sanoa provided earlier, as well as the 20-minute cooldown between watching ads for different types of actions.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Also, this from another thread:
    Rain Robinson was my first constellation, but I'll be using my ISM to scan until the temp achievements are done and I have some juicy constellations I really want to open.

Btw, looks like scan ads are on a 30 minute timer like regular missions, so space out your ISM scans to get double scans (re-scans, doesn't duplicate the scan reward) and make more progress toward the scan temp achievement if you're on a platform that allows them.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    It isn’t active on my iOS.

Mine isn’t active either but there is a back door. Go into achievements and click the engage button under the retrieval achievement.

Careful though - if you do, you have no choice but to see it through and get Data Q, just like Ben’s demo. Even quitting the app won’t help, as you get automatically taken back to the tutorial walk through when you restart.

Just takes me back to the main screen.......

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    For everyone disappointed that they can't open their polestar right away...I feel you. TP definitely should have made sure that everyone had enough ISM to actually open the guaranteed polestar.

On the bright side, when Phase 3 goes live tomorrow and you first launch the Crew Retrieval feature, you'll be given everything you need to retrieve a crew for free. And then the Temporary Achievement for completing you first crew retrieval will reward you with the ISM required to open today's Constellation.

(Just don't ask me how the heck they expect us to retrieve another two crew in two weeks when Constellations are so gosh darned rare...there are limits to my optimism)
  • Does the Quantum cost change depending on crew rarity and the number of options?

I don't want to waste any polestars for the achievements, as long as I don't have a combination that I actually want to use, so I was considering retrieving crew with the free 2* and 3* polestars from the tutorial and wasting some quantum instead. As long as I won't have to purchase that quantum with dilithium.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

Less than 40 people getting their dailies done is pretty unreasonable actually. Seriously, it takes less than 10 minutes except for shuttles and, formerly, scans.

I know one dude who's pretty casual. Like never scored beyond 50K in an event casual. And he gets his dailies done baring a family vacation.

Congratulations for being in such an engaged fleet.

We made it to 800 ISM yesterday, and that was close I guess (I was sleeping when the reset hit). 4 hours before the reset we had 27 done.

40 people out if a max of 50 (while most fleets do not have that many members) is NOT casual!
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
    Everyone will get a 2* and 3* rarity polestar from the tutorial. The Quantum costs for a retrieval using just those polestars one at a time are 300 and 500 respectively. The tutorial (free) retrieval also counts as one for the achievement. That should be your cheapest route to completing the temporary achievements and you'd be trading 800Q for two skill constellations.

I will try to puzzle one useful crew together instead of the rare, but I will do the uncommon one. Thanks @Automaton_2000!
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Everyone will get a 2* and 3* rarity polestar from the tutorial. The Quantum costs for a retrieval using just those polestars one at a time are 300 and 500 respectively. The tutorial (free) retrieval also counts as one for the achievement. That should be your cheapest route to completing the temporary achievements and you'd be trading 800Q for two skill constellations.

Thank you for this information! :)
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Dragen wrote: »
    Dropping this in here re: scan behavior

Ad scans are 30 minutes apart from my testing this morning. It's a combination of normal scan behavior (must scan to trigger an ad-scan) and dabo behavior (each ad-scan is free, but escalates the cost of the next scan).

If you scan 3 times (30+ minutes apart) and ad-warp each one, it will cost 400 ISM and save you 800 ISM daily.

Below is the cost for consecutive scans (resets daily) and bold would be the ones that you ad-warp

free

At first glance, that would mean that it is more economical to add-scan after the even numbered scans, depending on the number of scans you want to do. Since then 5 scans would cost 300 ISM, or 60 ISM per scan. Whereas ad-scanning after the odd numbered scans would cost 400 ISM for 6 scans or 67 ISM per scan.

free

So it depends how many scans you want to do that day. If you warp them all, you're looking at either 400 ISM for 6 scans (66.6 ISM/scan) or 1200 ISM for 8 (150 ISM/scan).

free

Ad-warping starting on the second scan costs 300 ISM for 5 scans (60 ISM/scan) or 800 ISM for 7 scans (114 ISM/scan).

free

So warping starting with the second scan is more ISM efficient, but if you're not opening constellations there comes a point where it's better to get the extra scans in if you have more ISM than you're spending. 1050 ISM daily + more from campaigns (Ben said event rewards too, but not sure)...it will probably be better to go for the [800 ISM for 7 scans (114 ISM/scan)] sweet spot and save the leftover for opening constellations.

Great catch! Another layer of strategy into how we're going to juggle the currency.

Edit:
    unknown.png
    credit @Henning1105
  • DragenDragen ✭✭✭

06yz2n3dda05.png
    credit @Henning1105

Nice graph, shows clearly how you can't just compare the cost of a fixed number of scans because that number will differ depending on the method.

Of course, if someone just wants to spend 100 ISM per day, starting the add-scan after the odd numbered scans would be better.
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused about scans, a timer says the chance of success resets at the daily reset. I was under the impression that the reset was (only) when a constellation was found, this is news to me.
  • KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    Kanon wrote: »
    I'm confused about scans, a timer says the chance of success resets at the daily reset. I was under the impression that the reset was (only) when a constellation was found, this is news to me.

The cost resets at the daily reset, the chance of success resets with a success. The way that they've organised the text on-screen makes it look otherwise, but that's just a badly designed screen layout.
    Cool, that makes sense. Thanks.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insufficient ISM to open crate. Join a fleet, or complete dailies to obtain more ISM!

q6s8kf9bplbb.jpg

40 people out if a max of 50 (while most fleets do not have that many members) is NOT casual!

No its extremely casual.

40 people out of 50 spending less than 10 minutes in a game just means you have 40 casual players.

How many people in your fleet competed in the last event? How many cleared all crew thresholds (130k) or all thresholds (350k)? Neither of those are casual.

No its extremely casual.

40 people out of 50 spending less than 10 minutes in a game just means you have 40 casual players.

How many people in your fleet competed in the last event? How many cleared all crew thresholds (130k) or all thresholds (350k)? Neither of those are casual.

We are only 42, my friend.

And doing some boring stuff daily vs. grinding like 2 hours in an event once a week to hit the threshold are two different pairs of shoes.
  • Insufficient ISM to open crate. Join a fleet, or complete dailies to obtain more ISM!

IIRC its been said that the campaign track will be modified to include these materials. Difficult to do right now as we're mid-campaign.
  • I belong in a fleet of 2 persons (father and son). We like having our own small fleet. I believe many of the smaller fleets are made up of family members. The husband and wife team mentioned earlier on this thread etc.

The new reward system for ISM skews heavily towards being in a large and very active fleet. Starbase bonuses have already penalised the small family based fleets (try competing in the gauntlet with only level 2 Starbase skill proficiencies!!) This new reward structure will only further the gap between small family fleets and large conglomerate fleets.

A much fairer and more inclusive reward structure would be as follows:

- Individual having completed their daily activities - reward - 400 ISM
    - 20 fleet members having completed their daily activities - reward 300 ISM
    - 30 fleet members having completed their daily activities - reward 200 ISM
    - 40 fleet members having completed their daily activities - reward 100 ISM

Small fleets still only get 40% of what large fleets would get but at least can participate to some degree. (added benefit - less pressure on Fleet Admirals because not so much at stake)

Come on WRG - look after us small family fleets! :) LLAP!

I'm totally on board with this. My fleet is a one man gang, just me. I'm not interested in the social aspects of the game and don't want to join a megafleet. I understand the people running the game want the fleet interaction, and I've got no problem with the bigger fleets getting more, but the numbers right now are too far out of whack. It crushes us little guys.

No its extremely casual.

We are only 42, my friend.

And doing some boring stuff daily vs. grinding like 2 hours in an event once a week to hit the threshold are two different pairs of shoes.

Pushing one set of buttons to get stuff vs pushing another set of buttons to get stuff are two.... very similar things. So the only real question is how much time are you spending?
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    People need to chill with the “this is the end of casual fleets” takes. Nothing has changed. If you want to take full advantage of this feature, and your fleet isn’t doing it’s dailies, that means you are not well paired with your fleet and you need to move on. But if you prefer your fleet more than getting the most out of CR, then you can stay put and work with the resources you get. I’ve been in three fleets since I’ve been playing: the first two I was the only real, active player, and I was still able to compete and do everything, just at a slower pace (side note: my current, awesome fleet all 50 players did their dailies yesterday; so happy I joined them!). It’s the same with this feature; you work with the resources you accumulate. You are not being beaten out of anything; you are making a strategic choice on how to play the game.

Yes, YOU are being rewarded for your playstyle. Why? TP is whaling like so many do now. Caters only to super active event fleets who will be kicking and harassing players nonstop now if they miss their dailies once. To create an utterly miserable game experience.

This system is the death of hundreds of small fleets. Congratulations! Well done. See you in Gre'thor.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."