Home The Bridge

Crew Retrieval Introduction Discussion

Comments

• (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    V. wrote: »
    From what I see the real challenge is going to be getting interesting polestars. Like yesterday I got musician which opened up a good single choice.

The other bottleneck for me will be ISM - getting only 100 or 200 a day. This will be much slower for me than the quantum replenishes (which is clearly not the way it's intended to work). So at most it will be one use a month to 6 weeks. Which I guess is ok. The superfleet v. non discrepancy does irritate me. Maybe they will add a lot more ISM for individuals when they see that it is more of a bottleneck than Quantum (ie dilithium ie. $$$).

Agreed, the good polestars that limit the large amount of crew is going to be the toughest part. The scan ad doubles help some with scans. I agree they should have not had such little ism for individual rewards and too high daily fleet rewards. But if you want a bigger fleet and the rewards that come with that you would be welcome at Holodeck Gone Haywire.
    Let’s fly!
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve got 3 human polestars (and 3 CMD ones), but otherwise just a reasonable ratio of 1-2 per item. I just hope you need some crew with the desperate trait!

On another front: I just realized that we can search for the card we want to target, click “show polestars”, and use the resulting icon set to determine how to narrow the field. On my phone, the polestar selection window is so small that there was never any visual indication that this button did anything useful. I kept wondering why they bothered to create it, but it took this long for me to figure it out. 🤦‍♂️
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    Scanning this morning at reset, I just got a Constellation (my third one, no less); it was for Admiral Cartwright. Well I got a Desperate polestar, which is my fifth Desperate polestar. I mean, I'm certainly desperate but I don't think I'm that desperate. Anyone experiencing something similar?

I have 4 Federation, 3 Starfleet, and 3 Human. Desperate is a much better one for duplicates. I got my first desperate yesterday.
  • 4 desperate polestars would be very useful for some of the crew I'm trying to target.
    I got 3 for Brutal (2 of which I used for Fury Kes and Dark Empath Troi), 4 for SCI and 3 for crafty, including the free ones.

I did also get a Suliban polestar and I would rather have a fifth one for SCI :lol:
  • ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    I've been fortunate not to have many doubles- just Federation and Brutal at the minute. Looking for a Veteran polestar to snag Tilly. Then I'm trying to work out if I want to add stars to my existing crew, or go for new crew!
    Arnie wrote: »
    ... Then I'm trying to work out if I want to add stars to my existing crew, or go for new crew!

This is what makes this feature a good feature. Still waiting to see how the new campaign and event rewards will affect how frequently it is usable.
  • Bound2FateBound2Fate ✭✭✭✭
    So far I've managed to scan for about 3 or 4 constellations. Twice I found one between 15-20% and last night I got one at only 1or 3%.
    Admiral of Historians of Starfleet Join! Looking for daily players.
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been lucky so far. Had a constellation once every 1 or 2 days. Federation and Starfleet are my most common polestars, but I've had some interesting ones: bajoran/kelpian/changeling to name a few. I have snagged 2 legendaries so far with the quantum given, and haven't even used the legendary polestar yet. 12 more days and I'll grab another..
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing about the constellation scans is the same consecutive probabilities that work against us in gauntlet work in our favor here. Yes, the odds of getting success on 1% or 3% is very low, but as those rates rise and the number of scans you have done increases, the odds of failing all those times decreases. By the 9th scan you are favored to have succeeded at some point, and the odds continue to increase in your favor as you go.

Scan Success Failure Consecutive Failues
    1 1.00% 99.00% 99.00%
    2 3.00% 97.00% 96.03%
    3 5.00% 95.00% 91.23%
    4 7.00% 93.00% 84.84%
    5 9.00% 91.00% 77.21%
    6 11.00% 89.00% 68.71%
    7 13.00% 87.00% 59.78%
    8 15.00% 85.00% 50.81%
    9 17.00% 83.00% 42.18%
    10 19.00% 81.00% 34.16%
    11 21.00% 79.00% 26.99%
    12 23.00% 77.00% 20.78%
    13 25.00% 75.00% 15.59%
    14 27.00% 73.00% 11.38%
  • IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I would like to see TP lower the thresholds on fleet dailies. 40 is putting a strain on many fleets and would be better lowered for people who have to work and deal with regular daily things in the real world.

Agreed. This is already causing issues that are going to lead to long time fleets falling apart.

Edited to add: Also, why aren't fleet leaders able to see who are the ones contributing/getting dailies done? From what our admiral said, he can't even see which players are doing the dailies. We can't even remove the ones who aren't if we wanted to.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    IceCat wrote: »
    I would like to see TP lower the thresholds on fleet dailies. 40 is putting a strain on many fleets and would be better lowered for people who have to work and deal with regular daily things in the real world.

Agreed. This is already causing issues that are going to lead to long time fleets falling apart.

Edited to add: Also, why aren't fleet leaders able to see who are the ones contributing/getting dailies done? From what our admiral said, he can't even see which players are doing the dailies. We can't even remove the ones who aren't if we wanted to.

That is a definite problem. As Admiral I have to do some guess work. Doing dailies and nothing else I have found nets you around 56-60 points. Players with less than that are likely not doing dailies. But it would be very helpful if TP would make it so we could be sure. Cause you can have players doing lots of missions on galaxy events, not finishing dailies, but having hundreds of points. Sometimes also players think they have done it all but forgot one thing. I know that has happened to me before I was being so fastidious about it. It certainly should have been something TP anticipated when they set dailies so high.
    Let’s fly!
  • I had a question and there is 20 pages in here I hope you wont be expecting me to read 20 pages before asking my question. First I would like to respond on the things I saw on this page. I was about to post about the 40 dailies thing in the make it so about a day or two ago, however my internet went down due to the winter storm conditions here. I completely agree that 40 is just assuming that every fleet has more than 40 members and that this is going to make them play daily? Yet taking into consideration that not everybody in a fleet can actually contribute every day, and I am sure you dont wish to ridicule other players for not participating as that only encourages people to quit playing the game. I would suggest cutting that down considerably to at least match 2/3 to 3/4 of fleets current members custom to each fleet using a math formula to determine the amount needed per fleet.
    (I like this game so please feel free to use my idea to make this game better for not only me but for all who play it)

My original question. Are there no longer free scans? I used ISM last night shortly after server reset and this morning I was greeted by a timer that said I had more than 5 hours left to reset. If there is a release note about more details on this can you please link it in a response, I would seriously like to know what the deal is with scans.

Thank you.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wizzdome wrote: »
    I had a question and there is 20 pages in here I hope you wont be expecting me to read 20 pages before asking my question. First I would like to respond on the things I saw on this page. I was about to post about the 40 dailies thing in the make it so about a day or two ago, however my internet went down due to the winter storm conditions here. I completely agree that 40 is just assuming that every fleet has more than 40 members and that this is going to make them play daily? Yet taking into consideration that not everybody in a fleet can actually contribute every day, and I am sure you dont wish to ridicule other players for not participating as that only encourages people to quit playing the game. I would suggest cutting that down considerably to at least match 2/3 to 3/4 of fleets current members custom to each fleet using a math formula to determine the amount needed per fleet.
    (I like this game so please feel free to use my idea to make this game better for not only me but for all who play it)

My original question. Are there no longer free scans? I used ISM last night shortly after server reset and this morning I was greeted by a timer that said I had more than 5 hours left to reset. If there is a release note about more details on this can you please link it in a response, I would seriously like to know what the deal is with scans.

Thank you.

The first scan each day is free, after that they start to cost ISM.
  • Seems to me if you aren't gonna get constellations with every scan and you need ISM to open constellations then they over using resources. Shame...
    Interesting point, @Bylo Band
    You would have to gamble for some crew.

As for ISM being for scans and opening, I don't have an issue. My fleet gets to the 30 level each day and I get the daily. That means I can open a constellation every other day, if I wanted, and still have leftover for extra scans. I've been doing one extra scan a day (once two) with ads, so I get 4 chances daily for constellations and have plenty of ISM to open all I win plus I am banking a bit extra. I expect in the next few weeks to amass a significant surplus.
  • edited February 2021
    I haven't looked through the thread enough to see if this has been mentioned but the basic problem is shown in Bylo Band's post: "Vanilla" crew are more difficult to retrieve than crew with special traits. Before I was banned, I got the Ba'ul polestar, so guess what you can do with that? Because it's a unique trait, it's easy to get crew who should logically be harder to locate.

Now, the crew I most want is Away Team Number One, but she is so vanilla, it will be pure RNG to get her. At least I assume that to be the case since her rarer traits are Resourceful and Explorer, but I imagine there's a good number of crew with both of those.

On the other hand, I also wanted Elizabeth Dehner and easily acquired her with the Telekinetic trait. Given that Dehner appeared only in the 2nd pilot episode, gained her trait under unique circumstances, and then died, she should be more unique.

Now, based on number of appearances on ToS, Dehner and Number One should be equally rare, but we know Number One is more a more important background character and that she's probably not too different from the first officers on other Starfleet vessels. For those reasons, Number One should logically be the easier to acquire of the two.

I know the traits were just refined to prepare for crew retrieval, but I think we clearly need negative polestars, as noted above, and/or new traits. The idea I had was role, personality, and assignment traits. For example, Aloof (personality), First Officer (role), USS Enterprise (assignment). With those, you'd basically just need a polestar to narrow down on Number One or Spock. The assignment idea could be generic (just Enterprise) or as specific as Pike's USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), April's USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), Kirk's USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), Decker's USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), or Spock's USS Enterprise (NCC-1701).
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't looked through the thread enough to see if this has been mentioned but the basic problem is shown in Bylo Band's post: "Vanilla" crew are more difficult to retrieve than crew with special traits. Before I was banned, I got the Ba'ul polestar, so guess what you can do with that? Because it's a unique trait, it's easy to get crew who should logically be harder to locate.

Now, the crew I most want is Away Team Number One, but she is so vanilla, it will be pure RNG to get her. At least I assume that to be the case since her rarer traits are Resourceful and Explorer, but I imagine there's a good number of crew with both of those.

On the other hand, I also wanted Elizabeth Dehner and easily acquired her with the Telekinetic trait. Given that Dehner appeared only in the 2nd pilot episode, gained her trait under unique circumstances, and then died, she should be more unique.

Now, based on number of appearances on ToS, Dehner and Number One should be equally rare, but we know Number One is more a more important background character and that she's probably not too different from the first officers on other Starfleet vessels. For those reasons, Number One should logically be the easier to acquire of the two.

I know the traits were just refined to prepare for crew retrieval, but I think we clearly need negative polestars, as noted above, and/or new traits. The idea I had was role, personality, and assignment traits. For example, Aloof (personality), First Officer (role), USS Enterprise (assignment). With those, you'd basically just need a polestar to narrow down on Number One or Spock. The assignment idea could be generic (just Enterprise) or as specific as Pike's USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), April's USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), Kirk's USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), Decker's USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), or Spock's USS Enterprise (NCC-1701).

I looked at the thing where you can check Polestars. It's pretty hard to find a combo, of what I tried, to get her to less than five possibles. She's definitely gonna be hard unless they do something to narrow more. Ones that are like the only one of their race in-game are easy, if you get that race Polestar. But, I imagine some are going to be hard to guarantee, that have common Traits/Skills.

🥌🦞

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
    I don't think it was intended to be easy to isolate specific crew, just possible. And with so many crew, it would be near impossible to isolate them all. Also, some polestars seem great until you have the crew. One of my first was Ramantis III Native. That fits only one crew that I immortalized long ago. A specific trait is a double-edged sword. In some cases it is absolutely worthless.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wizzdome wrote: »
    Seems to me if you aren't gonna get constellations with every scan and you need ISM to open constellations then they over using resources. Shame...

It's a balancing act between resources. if you're in a fleet that is hitting your targets and yielding the full 1k/day, then you will have ISM to use for scans. If you're not in a fleet, or it doesn't hit any targets, and you only earn 100 ISM/day, then you may want to save all your ISM to convert constellations to polestars.
  • The more I play around with this thing, the more I like it. I think of it as a mechanism to “build my own pack”, where I get to pick the crew(s), based on available attributes (scavenger hunt!), and then set the pack odds & costs to my own comfort level.

Now, about that Galaxy Mapp maze leading into the Beta Quadrant....

that's exactly the take I got from playing around with it. After getting the one specific targeted crew I was after, now I can kind of work it like a throw of the dice, getting 4 or so crew options that I need *s for, but guaranteed to be one of those on the board. MUCH nicer than the diluted honor pull!

All that being said, I can see this as a once or twice a month option, so it has already stagnated for me, whilst I wait for the stupid Quantum to replenish to try for my second crew from this beasty. Only about 9 days until recharged!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...