Home The Bridge
Options

FBB upcoming fix + Updates - 2022-07-22 - Edit 2022-07-28

Comments

• Options
    Just another chance for them to remove the arbitrary cap and they instead made several other changes.......

I doubt they would've made a change this extensive if the cap was an arbitrary thing they could remove at will. It's probably some kind of weird coding issue.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Interesting solution to magnesite but if it works, I like it.

Just another chance for them to remove the arbitrary cap and they instead made several other changes.......

I think they can't or cost too much, code wise.
  • Options
    weakinteractionweakinteraction ✭✭✭✭
    Some things can go well above 32767 (all the in-game currencies, for example) so it's clear that there isn't a hard limit for all integers on the backend. At some level, items and trainers and the like being capped is a design decision. It might be one that was made with reasoning behind it (eg managing the overall amount of data needed to store the details of a player's inventory) and is now impossible to change without unpicking a huge amount of code that assumes it continuing to work that way, but it is a decision.

That said, it seems to me that they could have decided to add the new bridge items as a distinct category, in the same way as they did polestars and constellations when they brought in crew retrieval. But instead they just added them to the main inventory where many people are already having to juggle to stay under the cap.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some things can go well above 32767 (all the in-game currencies, for example) so it's clear that there isn't a hard limit for all integers on the backend. At some level, items and trainers and the like being capped is a design decision. It might be one that was made with reasoning behind it (eg managing the overall amount of data needed to store the details of a player's inventory) and is now impossible to change without unpicking a huge amount of code that assumes it continuing to work that way, but it is a decision.

That said, it seems to me that they could have decided to add the new bridge items as a distinct category, in the same way as they did polestars and constellations when they brought in crew retrieval. But instead they just added them to the main inventory where many people are already having to juggle to stay under the cap.

I agree adding to the inventory was probably a mistake and added a bunch of problems. But once they decided to put them in the inventory they were stuck with the 32k limit unless they changed it for the entire inventory.
  • Options
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    (Probable answer, it was the easiest option and nobody thought this through properly).

I feel like this statement could apply to basically every element of this game mode (at least, every one where they're not choosing the option that induces players to spend more dilithium).
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if someone "sacrifices" a run by running crew that is needed to unluck nodes and bonies and chains and combinations, their damage bonus should be quintupled (5x bonus damage). Some bonus crew is 4* and simply doesn't have any useful ship ability, therefore the battle gives a lot less damage meowtput. That way with a 1.6 million run on Nightmare for example you'd still do 8 million damage (and that's an adequate reward for using merits and crew slots to activate needed crew for combos).
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    Jhamel wrote: »
    I think if someone "sacrifices" a run by running crew that is needed to unluck nodes and bonies and chains and combinations, their damage bonus should be quintupled (5x bonus damage). Some bonus crew is 4* and simply doesn't have any useful ship ability, therefore the battle gives a lot less damage meowtput. That way with a 1.6 million run on Nightmare for example you'd still do 8 million damage (and that's an adequate reward for using merits and crew slots to activate needed crew for combos).

I find it a good idea, but seems very difficult to implement and easy to abuse.
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »
    We're still in the process of preparing the deploy of the weekly server, and the fix.

I strenuously object to the use of the term "fix" to describe something that's actually a nerf, something that serves no other purpose than to make this game mode harder for the players so they'll spend more dilithium.

8ehji3abswju.gif

Yep, that's about how much impact I think it'll have.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    We're still in the process of preparing the deploy of the weekly server, and the fix.

I strenuously object to the use of the term "fix" to describe something that's actually a nerf, something that serves no other purpose than to make this game mode harder for the players so they'll spend more dilithium.

It's the magnesite fix.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peets wrote: »

It's the magnesite fix.

This server deploy will contain both fixes:
    - for the node unlocking
    - for the Magnesite
  • Options
    RookiebatmanRookiebatman ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

It's the magnesite fix.

No, the fix they originally announced for this week's update was the nodes. The magnesite fix is also tentatively scheduled for today, but the initial plan for the update was just hobbling players' ability to unlock nodes with multiple crew.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    *deleted
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

It's the magnesite fix.

And the fix they originally announced for this week's update was the nodes.

Fixed :) Sounds nicer.
    but the initial plan for the update was just hobbling players' ability to unlock nodes with multiple crew.

Wondering if we think the same:

So now if you need to unlock a node with two other traits. You could use two crew to pick one trait each.
    But you can still unlock several nodes in one go, if you have four different crew with the correct traits for one of the nodes. You can in theory unlock four nodes. You can't combine two crew for one node anymore.

Sounds logic to me that they would remove it. It's a pain though if the needed traits are in a recent added crew. I would prefer not to have that.
  • Options
    RookiebatmanRookiebatman ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022

This server deploy will contain both fixes:
    - for the node unlocking
    - for the Magnesite
    Comment moderated ~Shan
  • Options
    You can't combine two crew for one node anymore.

Sounds logic to me that they would remove it. It's a pain though if the needed traits are in a recent added crew. I would prefer not to have that.

Yes, it sounds perfectly logical to me too, if the only thing they care about is pushing players to spend more dilithium, and not at all about improving the player experience. I mean, if they just came clean and said, "we need to do stuff like this or we won't be able to keep the game running anymore," I would at least appreciate their honesty. But pretending like it's a "fix" to take away a feature (whether intended or not) that helps players beat the bosses more easily (without being so easy that it's cheap) is just insulting and dishonest.

The change they're making to the nodes today is not a fix to anything but their bottom line. They're actively making it less fun for the players so they can make more money. What an awful, short-sighted business model.
  • Options
    I get that it needs to be fixed, but don't fix it till you sort out the crew availability issue.

It doesn't need to be fixed, it's just a fun little bonus that allows players more options to figure out how to solve nodes. It's not like some grand exploit that makes unlocking combo chains effortless. They're already hard enough as it is.

• Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the magnesite fix.

but the initial plan for the update was just hobbling players' ability to unlock nodes with multiple crew.

So now if you need to unlock a node with two other traits. You could use two crew to pick one trait each.
    But you can still unlock several nodes in one go, if you have four different crew with the correct traits for one of the nodes. You can in theory unlock four nodes. You can't combine two crew for one node anymore.

That is exactly the issue, without that being fixed, you are going to run into tons of crew not in the portal who are the only ones that can unlock a node, where in the past you could work around it. That is what most of us are cranky about. I get that it needs to be fixed, but don't fix it till you sort out the crew availability issue.
    Add to that, unlocking nodes is already a problematic dilemma, in which you sacrifice a lot of personal damage for the reward of maybe (if someone does as wll) doing some damage that will not granted to any of the attackers (and that damage is the "score" to calculare personal rewards,, so a combo chain completion means reducing the total possible score for all players)
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kanon wrote: »

It's the magnesite fix.

That is exactly the issue, without that being fixed, you are going to run into tons of crew not in the portal who are the only ones that can unlock a node, where in the past you could work around it. That is what most of us are cranky about. I get that it needs to be fixed, but don't fix it till you sort out the crew availability issue.
    Add to that, unlocking nodes is already a problematic dilemma, in which you sacrifice a lot of personal damage for the reward of maybe (if someone does as wll) doing some damage that will not granted to any of the attackers (and that damage is the "score" to calculare personal rewards,, so a combo chain completion means reducing the total possible score for all players)

Thanks, I forgot to add again here, that that needs to be fixed along with it.
  • Options
    KanonKanon ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure this is pointless, but I'm hoping for no expiration date on the 10x Valor (or at least, a long time to collect)
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    z706asa1nuyi.jpeg
    Let’s fly!