Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: Heavy Lies The Crown - 12/07

Comments

• DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or do the light reflections in yellow and blue look too bright and too thick? The blue on Jadzia's hair, for example, or the yellow on the left of Reed. I find them too distracting and they don't seem to fit into the picture well. Might just be me though.

It's not just you. I've commented before that just getting rid of the bathed in yellow light look would be a big improvement.
  • What happened to Mirror Reed’s nose? I’m pretty sure there are a dozen or more other comments to that effect but I just had to ask myself as well. They all look fairly decent other than Reed’s nose ruining his whole portrait. Yes, the artwork is cruder and not nearly as good as the early stuff, but it looks like the work of an entirely different person. Well, it’s either a different person or the person doing it had a stroke. Or just got really sloppy with their work. Probably a different person though. It’s a bit jarring in a way, seeing as how last week we got the beautiful Leonardo and Chapel, but I suppose they could have been sitting in a vault this whole time. Please, DB, fix the nose, and tell your artist to shape up. Presumably they’re getting paid for their work, so they could at least do a good job and not churn out anymore 23th century Martoks or Blood Oath Jadzias. Ok, that’s all from me for now. Oh, wait, it’s neat and all using Mirror variants but no Picard variants?! Come on! We get Dax variants and there are tons of those. I suppose that’s why they said no Picard variants, but still. Eh, oh well, now I’m through.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, wait, it’s neat and all using Mirror variants but no Picard variants?! Come on! We get Dax variants and there are tons of those. I suppose that’s why they said no Picard variants, but still.

All Mirror crew fits the precedent from other mega events - all Borg, all Klingon, all Discovery.

For Picard, there was no precedent, as the other recurring 5* crew had only one variant. I think this one could be argued either way, but the way I look at it, Picard is not a featured crew in the same sense as Dax, Reed, and Sato. For instance, he won't be in packs, only the recurring threshold reward. So it's what I expected, but like I said I can see the argument either way.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audrid Dax with Quark holding a hairbrush, lol.
  • ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    What happened to Mirror Reed’s nose? I’m pretty sure there are a dozen or more other comments to that effect but I just had to ask myself as well. They all look fairly decent other than Reed’s nose ruining his whole portrait. Yes, the artwork is cruder and not nearly as good as the early stuff, but it looks like the work of an entirely different person. Well, it’s either a different person or the person doing it had a stroke. Or just got really sloppy with their work. Probably a different person though. It’s a bit jarring in a way, seeing as how last week we got the beautiful Leonardo and Chapel, but I suppose they could have been sitting in a vault this whole time. Please, DB, fix the nose, and tell your artist to shape up. Presumably they’re getting paid for their work, so they could at least do a good job and not churn out anymore 23th century Martoks or Blood Oath Jadzias. Ok, that’s all from me for now. Oh, wait, it’s neat and all using Mirror variants but no Picard variants?! Come on! We get Dax variants and there are tons of those. I suppose that’s why they said no Picard variants, but still. Eh, oh well, now I’m through.

Beautiful Leonardo and Chapel? What are you smoking? I mean they're far from the worst pictures out there but they were by no means good compared to the early artwork of this game.
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to stay out of the Nicholas Reed debate.

But I wonder if DB would be willing to make a small compromise with us. Since we're now getting communications split up and so late, could we get crew stats on Tuesday when we get out list of bonus crew?
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I'm going to stay out of the Nicholas Reed debate.

But I wonder if DB would be willing to make a small compromise with us. Since we're now getting communications split up and so late, could we get crew stats on Tuesday when we get out list of bonus crew?

aWkrQdO.jpg
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • ·§ë· For the Many·§ë· For the Many ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Shan wrote: »
    I will pass along the feedback and concerns regarding art quality, thank you!

Thank you so much!
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deli wrote: »
    Ok. I was really excited about this mega event. Then I saw the artwork for Dax and Reed. Picard looks great but wth happened to Dax and Reed?!

Ah, you misunderstood. You thought it was the Enterprise version of Reed. That's actually a Reed from 30 years in the future. He's the love child of Mirror Tucker and Mirror Reed. That's why he looks like that.

What happened to Picard's Gunshow Arms?!?!?

Scott

"The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • At first glance, I thought Mirror Reed was Daniel Craig.
    At first glance, I thought Mirror Reed was Daniel Craig.

With Sean Penns nose maybe...yeah, I see it

DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    Jimmy Durante Reed is awesome!
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
    Maybe Reed was wearing that heavy crown and it crushed his skull just enough to bulge his nose.......
  • Bah, Diane Duane's Dark Mirror did cool mirror TNG long before this comic.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not an expert, but can’t they just scan a picture and digitally duplicate it for computer art? It seems Hoshi was done so well that this was the process. Seems that wouldn’t take as much time as drawing it and would be more accurate
  • V. wrote: »
    Jimmy Durante Reed is awesome!

Hachachacha!
  • Clanof wrote: »
    What happened to Mirror Reed’s nose? I’m pretty sure there are a dozen or more other comments to that effect but I just had to ask myself as well. They all look fairly decent other than Reed’s nose ruining his whole portrait. Yes, the artwork is cruder and not nearly as good as the early stuff, but it looks like the work of an entirely different person. Well, it’s either a different person or the person doing it had a stroke. Or just got really sloppy with their work. Probably a different person though. It’s a bit jarring in a way, seeing as how last week we got the beautiful Leonardo and Chapel, but I suppose they could have been sitting in a vault this whole time. Please, DB, fix the nose, and tell your artist to shape up. Presumably they’re getting paid for their work, so they could at least do a good job and not churn out anymore 23th century Martoks or Blood Oath Jadzias. Ok, that’s all from me for now. Oh, wait, it’s neat and all using Mirror variants but no Picard variants?! Come on! We get Dax variants and there are tons of those. I suppose that’s why they said no Picard variants, but still. Eh, oh well, now I’m through.

Beautiful Leonardo and Chapel? What are you smoking? I mean they're far from the worst pictures out there but they were by no means good compared to the early artwork of this game.

And that’s your opinion, which in turn has no bearing on mine. They’re much more in line with the original style than some of the more haphazard stuff like this Reed.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • What happened to Picard's Gunshow Arms?!?!?

Scott

Yes, we could definitely use a better angle on those arms, plus they could have added just a smidge more to their mass, lol.
    What happened to Picard's Gunshow Arms?!?!?

Scott

Yes, we could definitely use a better angle on those arms, plus they could have added just a smidge more to their mass, lol.

Yeah. If you are gonna do Comic Book Picard from Mirror Broken, he gotta bring dem guns......

Scott

• Don't we normally have event crew stats by now ?
    Don't we normally have event crew stats by now ?

Shan dropped the Event Bonus Crew early. Might have threw her swing off......

Scott

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crew stats are published with the event notes, on Wednesday :)
    Shan wrote: »

Or that. I could not remember how it was.

Scott

• Shan wrote: »

Thank you Shan. I got confused between bonus crew announcement and stats.
    Looking forward to seeing them numbers.
  • Pallidyne wrote: »
    das411 wrote: »
    Thanks Shan!

....why that Odo though? :/

It's Odo with the memories of Kurzon Dax merged.

That spelling of Curzon is non-canon!

sapce0l694i6.gif

:wink:
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    das411 wrote: »
    Thanks Shan!

....why that Odo though? :/

It's Odo with the memories of Kurzon Dax merged.

That spelling of Curzon is non-canon!

sapce0l694i6.gif

:wink:

To quote John Travolta in Broken Arrow... "Ain't it cool?" :)
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    Regarding the artwork — I really don't think the artists are to blame here. Not overall, anyway. I agree there's something wonky with Reed, but I think Jadzia is at least fairly well-represented within the confines of the style of art they are using now.

Agreed. For me, Mirror Jadzia is the best of the new trio and I legitimately dig her as-is. I definitely like her more than the recent Festive Jadzia Dax. I can also understand how, in the context of the art of the rest of the cards in the game, others would find the relative simplicity and lack of detail to be a step down from the previous aesthetic. I don't think the problem is so much that the current art is "bad"; I think it's that it's not homogeneous with what came before.
    Someone playing on a small screen may not notice the differences. But DB, device screens are getting larger all the time. And I've always played on a tablet, where I can easily tell the difference between the quick-and-dirty style of current artwork compared with much of the earlier artwork. Not to mention that with the introduction of the game to Steam, artwork quality is going to be more important than ever, with people playing on a monitor.

I've been playing exclusively through Facebook Gameroom on my laptop for months now, as I got tired of the game consuming increasingly greater memory on my phone. The brush strokes have become entirely conspicuous, and in many cases, an eyesore.

For instance, I know a lot of forum members really liked Leonardo da Vinci. I can't get past the hard line between his beard and his face, which makes it look unnatural. I can tell on my laptop that there's also some coloration there, intended to convey dimension to his jawline. Instead, the coloring is blurring with the hard line around the beard and creating an even greater distance between the white of the beard and his face. Because the beard is painted with such broad strokes, it looks like a solid, independent object put in front of his face rather than a natural extension of it.
    We're not asking for something that you haven't given us in the past; we just want a return to the detailed quality of the earlier characters. Thank you!

I can tell from the lines that the art is still starting off solid. It's in the coloring and/or rendering stages that it's getting mangled. This is the area where I would encourage DB to pay greater attention, and to provide greater support to the person or people tasked with those stages of creation.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reed is just way bad. His mouth is crooked and way too far down. One eye is much higher than the other. His schnoz is goofy. I stick by what I said. It looks like a child drew it