Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: The Galactic Series - 03/15 - Updated 03/15

Comments

• Grant77 wrote: »
    4di9s16vcthl.png

You should have kept him when he was in tth eevent.

His last event was nearly a year ago, ~10 days after I began playing the game; it was my second event, rank 18081.
    https://stt.wiki/wiki/The_Falcon_Falls

Yes indeed. I'm sure there are quite a few we all regret ditching as new players. Watch out for him in the factions store - that's where I grabbed mine. Worth the dil imo (not that my Fleet Admiral agreed but hey. I wanted Jazzy and I had the dil so?)!

Yar. I check each day in the faction store. Didn't ditch him though - only my second event, rank 18081 wasn't enough for any copies. 10,000 gets ya 1/3.

:grin: It's just fun to give DB a hard time about it now, given the mysterious absence from pulls and their silence on it.
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    I think DB isn't going to put Rom as threshold because a lot of people already have him from 1* to 4* already. They would get him and drop out midway through the reward table and not necessarily go after the new character if they weren't interested. If he is rank they will get more people competing to the end because they know the players will want to FF/FE him. They did the same with Troi last weekend.
  • edited March 2018
    I think DB isn't going to put Rom as threshold because a lot of people already have him from 1* to 4* already. They would get him and drop out midway through the reward table and not necessarily go after the new character if they weren't interested. If he is rank they will get more people competing to the end because they know the players will want to FF/FE him. They did the same with Troi last weekend.

They generally put the new 4* character in the threshold, so it will likely be Garland. I'm cool with either because I need both.
  • al103al103 ✭✭✭
    IMHO it's more "if you want to get FE threshold before event - buy packs".

New character in placing actually gives incentive to old players to try for it and not just those that want 5*.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Except Doctor Noah is ranked right now with the new Pulaski at threshold. And even more people have Noah from a previous event than rom who has only been in packs.

Of course the only thing consistent about DB has been inconsistency, so anything can happen.
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    It varies. If I want a card threshold, they put it as ranked. If I want a ranked it goes threshold. I don't know how they know this, but they do. This means Rom will be ranked.

Does this qualify as Murphy's Law? Hmmmmm.....
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I had to look up Faith Garland on Memory Alpha. But I do like Megan Gallagher — just didn't remember her character's name.

Still, I agree — between this upcoming event, the recent War Interrupted event and the upcoming mega just announced, it seems we're getting pretty DS9-heavy. (Admittedly, we were DSC-heavy for awhile, but that's a new show with a bunch of new characters to introduce, so to me it's not the same thing.) I know most of y'all are huge fans of Deep Space Nine, but it's feeling like a bit of overkill for me.

I got to wondering about the representation of series, so I looked into it through 2018.

xqdm629xxrgt.jpg

I find it curious that I don't recall anyone even remarking on, let alone complaining about, the TOS and TNG streaks. Recall that 2017 ended with the "Smoke & Mirrors" mega-event that also featured a TNG crew member weekly, which means there was actually an eight-week TNG streak spanning December through January.

None of this is to dispute whether concentrations of a specific series are good or bad. Just found it interesting that we've had those two streaks in the last few months without either provoking any kind of awareness or reactions. I certainly wasn't cognizant of either of those streaks until just now, anyway.

I think the perception of a streak will have to do with having multiple characters from the same show in one event.

This would be two events with all three crew from DS9 in three weeks.

Compare to when we were complaining about the DSC streak- it also had events with two crew from one show.

Though if DB could throw a Jadzia Dax my way (existing or new), I could be very cool with that.

Or ENT crew, but given recent polling, I doubt it’ll be very soon.

Funnily enough, Jadzia is tied with three others for featuring in the most events (eight).
    1. "The Trouble with Klingons", 4/21/16
    2. "The Trouble with Klingons 2", 9/8/16
    3. "The Genesis Wave 2", 4/6/17
    4. "The Triskelion Tournament", 6/15/17
    5. "The Trouble with Klingons 3", 6/29/17
    6. "Discovery: A New Anomaly 4: A Logical Reaction", 10/26/17
    7. "Fast as Light", 11/22/17
    8. "Smoke & Mirrors 1: Heavy Lies the Crown", 12/7/17

Some quick notes on the other three tied with Jadzia:

Data was in five events in 2016, but only three since.

It took Picard until the game's first anniversary to finally appear in an event at all (by which time those first five events of Data's had already run). Of his eight, four of them were as the recurring 5* in the "Smoke & Mirrors" mega-event this past December. If we exclude those four, on the basis that no other Picard personae counted for bonus crew, then he's only had four standard event appearances.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the last of the four is Janeway, given that she's the one we collectively complain about dominating events. Three of her eight are "They Came from the Holodeck!" and its two replays. Of the remaining five, four of them have been appearances in the first four mega-events.

I can understand why we don't think of Data as dominating events, given how few he's been in since the end of 2016, but it is curious to me that no one ever seems to feel there's been too much emphasis on Jadzia the way we complain about Janeway. Is it that we just like Jadzia more? Is it that half of Janeway's events were in the mega-events where she saved the day?

I think part of it is that some of the Janeways seemed like unnecessary additions, particularly “Agent” Janeway and Pirate Janeway.
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the last straw with Janeway was the mirror event - there was so many mirror crew Archer, Phlox, Sisko, O'Brien, Kirk, Spock, Kira and ok they decided to expand it with TNG comics to promote it.

And then suddenly in the last even they put a non-canon, non-comic version of Mirror Janeway which they produced just for the game.
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    I had to look up Faith Garland on Memory Alpha. But I do like Megan Gallagher — just didn't remember her character's name.

Still, I agree — between this upcoming event, the recent War Interrupted event and the upcoming mega just announced, it seems we're getting pretty DS9-heavy. (Admittedly, we were DSC-heavy for awhile, but that's a new show with a bunch of new characters to introduce, so to me it's not the same thing.) I know most of y'all are huge fans of Deep Space Nine, but it's feeling like a bit of overkill for me.

I got to wondering about the representation of series, so I looked into it through 2018.

xqdm629xxrgt.jpg

I find it curious that I don't recall anyone even remarking on, let alone complaining about, the TOS and TNG streaks. Recall that 2017 ended with the "Smoke & Mirrors" mega-event that also featured a TNG crew member weekly, which means there was actually an eight-week TNG streak spanning December through January.

None of this is to dispute whether concentrations of a specific series are good or bad. Just found it interesting that we've had those two streaks in the last few months without either provoking any kind of awareness or reactions. I certainly wasn't cognizant of either of those streaks until just now, anyway.

Maybe I'm being nit-picky or someone has already pointed it out BUT:

Commander Thelin is From TAS, not TOS.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Update is coming early this week :)

Event factions
    Ferengi Traditionalists, Romulan Star Empire, Klingon Empire

Bonus crew:
    • high bonus: event crew
    • small bonus: variants of Quark, variants of Rom, and crew with the Athlete trait.

Current crew with the Athlete trait:
    Racquetball Bashir
    Boxer Chakotay
    Hockey Kim
    Niners Kira Nerys
    Gladiator McCoy
    Delta Flyer Paris
    Hockey Paris
    Niners Rom
    Tsunkatse Seven
    Niners Sisko
    Duelist Torres

Thank you for the timely delivery.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting twist, using the Athlete trait.
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad that the Traditionalists are getting some event love, I have a few Ferengi who are waiting for their Trade By-Laws and PADDs.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »

xqdm629xxrgt.jpg

We regularly classify movie characters with their originating series (i.e., TMP - VI get counted as TOS crew; Generations - Nemesis get counted as TNG crew), so expanding that to include TAS is consistent with that precedence. To wit: You called out Commander Thelin as being from TAS, but said nothing about Dr. Gillian Taylor being from Star Trek IV.

If it makes you happy, though, feel free to mentally remove Thelin from the chart.
  • Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    I was expecting Ferengi Alliance, so I would recommend that everyone runs those missions all week if they want to level Martian Quark!
  • Data1001 wrote: »

xqdm629xxrgt.jpg

We regularly classify movie characters with their originating series (i.e., TMP - VI get counted as TOS crew; Generations - Nemesis get counted as TNG crew), so expanding that to include TAS is consistent with that precedence. To wit: You called out Commander Thelin as being from TAS, but said nothing about Dr. Gillian Taylor being from Star Trek IV.

If it makes you happy, though, feel free to mentally remove Thelin from the chart.

I agree 100% with the movie philosophy. I just count TOS and TAS as different series completely.
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Event factions

Bonus crew:
    • small bonus: variants of Quark, variants of Rom, and crew with the Athlete trait.

Racquetball Bashir
    Boxer Chakotay
    Hockey Kim
    Niners Kira Nerys
    Gladiator McCoy
    Delta Flyer Paris
    Hockey Paris
    Niners Rom
    Tsunkatse Seven
    Niners Sisko
    Duelist Torres

Interesting choice, thanks Shan - time for hockey Harry and Tom to make their triumphant return from the freezer!
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad so many of the Athletes are 3*s. Not sure it's worth defrosting them, particularly as it's half Galaxy.
  • al103al103 ✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    Too bad so many of the Athletes are 3*s. Not sure it's worth defrosting them, particularly as it's half Galaxy.
    Depends on your crew really. My Eng is just THAT bad. That said I use Kim for arena so only one I really need to defrost is Tsunkatse Seven. Well, maybe Chakotay, after x2 his Sec is good even in my Sec heavy crew (currently running Eng/Com voyage... resulting Sec is 150 points higher than Eng *sigh*).
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Athletes! That's different. And just like that, Tsunkatse Seven just became my best bonus crew for an event that stars both of Moogie's boys. Just seems . . . wrong somehow.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
    Athletes! That's different. And just like that, Tsunkatse Seven just became my best bonus crew for an event that stars both of Moogie's boys. Just seems . . . wrong somehow.

I'm sure they'll both appreciate Seven's presence

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    al103 wrote: »
    Depends on your crew really. My Eng is just THAT bad. That said I use Kim for arena so only one I really need to defrost is Tsunkatse Seven. Well, maybe Chakotay, after x2 his Sec is good even in my Sec heavy crew (currently running Eng/Com voyage... resulting Sec is 150 points higher than Eng *sigh*).

Currently running a Cmd/Sci voyage, my Sec is 250 points higher than cmd, and a few thousand higher than sci. :p
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure they'll both appreciate Seven's presence

Hahaha. True.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭

Event factions

Bonus crew:

Racquetball Bashir
    Boxer Chakotay
    Hockey Kim
    Niners Kira Nerys
    Gladiator McCoy
    Delta Flyer Paris
    Hockey Paris
    Niners Rom
    Tsunkatse Seven
    Niners Sisko
    Duelist Torres

Guess now is as good a time as any to point out that Anbo-jyutsu Riker doesn't have the Athlete trait?
    Now that's one I'd unfreeze if he had a bonus. Maybe A-J is a really low-key martial art? ;)

Event factions

Bonus crew:

Racquetball Bashir
    Boxer Chakotay
    Hockey Kim
    Niners Kira Nerys
    Gladiator McCoy
    Delta Flyer Paris
    Hockey Paris
    Niners Rom
    Tsunkatse Seven
    Niners Sisko
    Duelist Torres

Guess now is as good a time as any to point out that Anbo-jyutsu Riker doesn't have the Athlete trait?
    Now that's one I'd unfreeze if he had a bonus. Maybe A-J is a really low-key martial art? ;)

He's one of the few on that list whom I do have maxed, so it'd be really nice if he magically got the Athlete trait with tomorrow's server update.

*hint*

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • al103al103 ✭✭✭
    Currently running a Cmd/Sci voyage, my Sec is 250 points higher than cmd, and a few thousand higher than sci. :p
    In my case my Eng is properly higher than Cmd. And I'm better in Cmd than Sec department... it's still bigger than Eng. Because most of my Voyage-worthy engineers are also Sec, not just usual Com/Sec/Whatever.