Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Father of Logic - 04/05

Comments

• Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan
    Will this event's Amanda Grayson count as "small" bonus crew for the remainder of the event?

In the past, new characters introduced during a mega event usually count as event characters for the remainder. The only exception to this that I know of is the Scottie from the most recent mega event.

As she is neither Vulcan or Romulan, I would expect that this is also the case for Amanda Grayson.
    My gut tells me she'll probably have the Vulcan trait, in which case it'll be a moot point.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »
    @Shan
    Will this event's Amanda Grayson count as "small" bonus crew for the remainder of the event?

In the past, new characters introduced during a mega event usually count as event characters for the remainder. The only exception to this that I know of is the Scottie from the most recent mega event.

As she is neither Vulcan or Romulan, I would expect that this is also the case for Amanda Grayson.
    My gut tells me she'll probably have the Vulcan trait, in which case it'll be a moot point.

Yea, but Burnham lacks the Vulcan trait and I'd argue she is a lot closer to qualifying than Grayson.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    @Shan

Actually they typically only count if they met the trait criteria were other features character's bonuses later in the event. As you stated, Formal Dress Scotty was one such example. We'd never really seen many others as Admiral Picard and Jarok were in the last episodes of the megas they were introduced during,\

But then maybe she's Vulcan by cultural adoption.....
  • Options
    MordackMordack ✭✭✭
    @Shan

I don't remember that being the case during the Borg event, but if was such a long time ago that I could be mistaken.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first three events in the Borg mega included Mirror Phlox, Tolian Soran, and Arik Soong respectively. None are Borg, and none were bonus crew for any subsequent event.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Dralix wrote: »
    The first three events in the Borg mega included Mirror Phlox, Tolian Soran, and Arik Soong respectively. None are Borg, and none were bonus crew for any subsequent event.

..and all were rerun characters and not part of the base "Borg" theme. I wouldn't have expected them to count.

Here, we clearly have a character that adheres to the theme (she is very closely related to Vulcans) but is not one herself. This is in clear contrast to Scottie from the Disc/Andorian event who has no relation to the base theme, but was still a new character.

Personally, I doubt she will count for the rest of tbe event, but, if she is, I would consider pulling a pack or two to FF pending stats and such if I will get 3 more events of her at a small bonus.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's a safe assumption that she won't be bonus beyond the first event unless she has the Vulcan or Romulan trait. There's no reason she would be, nor any precedent for it.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    I think it's a safe assumption that she won't be bonus beyond the first event unless she has the Vulcan or Romulan trait. There's no reason she would be, nor any precedent for it.

Though there could be a case for giving her the Vulcan trait --- I mean she didn't go all nutty ball like Mikey B, but she was on Vulcan most of her life....
  • Options
    garnergarner ✭✭✭
    KTz wrote: »
    Again only Federation...where is our section 31?
    Why would there be? Sure holoprograms & security codes would be nice, but no thematic reason for inclusion.
    new vulcan-romulan event! what faction? Federation!
    Vulcan is in the Federation, and the top reward from Fed shuttles is IDIC 2*, along with 0* ancient films & 0* orchids. So very Vulcan slant to Federation shuttles.
    Shoot, I’ve been running Romulan shuttles non-stop in anticipation of some new Romulans - I’ve got enough Romulan Ale to kill a Lurian.
    Absolutely, 2* Star Empire icon & 2* Romulan Encryption Algorithm. Unfortunately, the 0* Romulan Encryption Algorithm don't drop from shuttles, very expensive farming item.
  • Options
    garnergarner ✭✭✭
    It is worth noting that traits like Vulcan are not just racial but also political or cultural. We don't have Romulan race and Romulan political/cultural separately just one trait.

Perfect example is all Sisko's having Bajoran, but the 2* not counting as part alien for cadets. Because he is human, but has the cultural trait Bajoran.

By this logic, it could be argued that Amanda Grayson could have Vulcan, but then so should Burnham.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    garner wrote: »
    It is worth noting that traits like Vulcan are not just racial but also political or cultural. We don't have Romulan race and Romulan political/cultural separately just one trait.

Perfect example is all Sisko's having Bajoran, but the 2* not counting as part alien for cadets. Because he is human, but has the cultural trait Bajoran.

By this logic, it could be argued that Amanda Grayson could have Vulcan, but then so should Burnham.

Yea, but the Prophets said numerous times "The Sisko is of Bajor". There are canon references that tie Sisko to Bajor, it's not some fiat relationship that DB created.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this. Burnham can have the Vulcan trait (because that's where she was raised), but still not count as an alien for cadet challenges because she's human.

And I would agree that Amanda Grayson should have the Vulcan trait. Depending on what age she was when she married Sarek, she has possibly spent the majority of her adult life on Vulcan, plus she lived with/was married to a Vulcan, and raised a half-Vulcan son. She also wore Vulcan-style clothing in the TOS incarnation of her (DIS gave her more human-looking garb, but maybe that's also just how Vulcan women dress in DIS), which to me indicates that she's accepted Vulcan culture.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    the 0* Romulan Encryption Algorithm don't drop from shuttles, very expensive farming item.
    Episode 8 to the help. Surveying the Sphere is best place to farm **** Incense. Suddenly costly Algorithms are not THAT costly, despite requiring 10 more chron per one. That is if you have less than 20 Incense in reserve - though with new Vulcans if even half of them would require 5* Meditation Lamp it may be good idea to farm more of it. And they may require some other stuff that have it in recipe like Sybok's Mythology and T'Pol's Surah'tahn.

Also 0* Algorithms are pretty cadet-able though on both UFs.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    There certainly is precedent for Amanda Grayson to have the Vulcan trait. Klingon Bride Jadzia was Klingon by marriage, accepted into the House of Martok. She gets the Klingon trait. Blood Oath Jadzia, though dressed in Klingon garb, was not. Amanda, one could argue, is Vulcan by marriage.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    There certainly is precedent for Amanda Grayson to have the Vulcan trait. Klingon Bride Jadzia was Klingon by marriage, accepted into the House of Martok. She gets the Klingon trait. Blood Oath Jadzia, though dressed in Klingon garb, was not. Amanda, one could argue, is Vulcan by marriage.

That actually depends on Vulcan law, if you're using that argument.

By Klingon law, Jadzia was marrying into a Klingon House, and therefore would be considered a Klingon (and gain the legal protection of the Klingon Empire etc.)

I don't think it was ever stated anywhere what the rules are about Vulcan interspecies marriages (since they very rarely occur), so I don't know if the Vulcan government would consider a human to be Vulcan by marriage. I have a feeling that Vulcans are a little too xenophobic to consider a human to be Vulcan simply because she/he married one. More likely Amanda Grayson would have just been considered a human (unfortunately) living on Vulcan, and since Vulcan is part of the Federation, they didn't need to grant her any special status/visa/citizenship to live there. And I think all this is especially true given the time period when this was happening and the reaction we saw in DIS towards Amanda, Spock and Michael from the Vulcan "authorities" (acting as though Sarek has some weird fetish or something compelling him to spend time with humans).

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    A Human marrying a Vulcan may gain the entreaties and rights of being a Vulcan citizen but remains Human, that is logical.
  • Options
    So what was the Key Information? Oh wait I have to scroll back 4 pages of...how did that go on Charlie Brown, oh yes. Mhaw Mhaw Mhaw Mhaw :):)
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarek's family is, if you'll forgive me, fascinating when put together. Here's a guy who first marries a Vulcan woman (it's reasonable to infer it was an arranged marriage, as was Spock's to T'Pring) and after her death, marries the human Amanda. Not only do they have Spock together, they also take in Michael Burnham, and to top it all off, Sarek's firstborn, the full-blooded Sybok, goes on to be banished entirely for embracing emotion. Man, what a weird house that must have been when those three were growing up together!

Speaking of whom, I'd genuinely love to see Sybok turn up on Disco. Canonically, the only information established is that Sybok was someone Spock "knew in [his] youth". Memory Alpha shows that Sybok was born in 2224, Michael in 2226, and Spock in 2230. Michael's parents were killed "in the early 2230's". There's a lot of wiggle room for what constituted Spock's "youth"; anything from being a toddler to an adolescent, but it seems pretty likely that Michael and Sybok would have had some kind of relationship.

I've wondered if perhaps they were directly responsible for the way each other turned out. Sybok grows up with a human stepmother and a human foster sister, and sees that Sarek has set the example of accepting humanity. It's easy to see how Sybok sees that the next step to take would be a return to Vulcan's emotional, human-like past. In turn, it's also easy to see how a young Michael, grateful to Sarek, would try to compensate for Sybok's rebellion by becoming the replacement dutifully logical child. These kinds of things happen regularly in blended families, after all. Why not Sarek's?
    I'm sure there's some great 80's family sitcom joke to be made here, but I'm just not good enough. Sorry.
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    Sarek's family is, if you'll forgive me, fascinating when put together. Here's a guy who first marries a Vulcan woman (it's reasonable to infer it was an arranged marriage, as was Spock's to T'Pring) and after her death, marries the human Amanda. Not only do they have Spock together, they also take in Michael Burnham, and to top it all off, Sarek's firstborn, the full-blooded Sybok, goes on to be banished entirely for embracing emotion. Man, what a weird house that must have been when those three were growing up together!

Speaking of whom, I'd genuinely love to see Sybok turn up on Disco. Canonically, the only information established is that Sybok was someone Spock "knew in [his] youth". Memory Alpha shows that Sybok was born in 2224, Michael in 2226, and Spock in 2230. Michael's parents were killed "in the early 2230's". There's a lot of wiggle room for what constituted Spock's "youth"; anything from being a toddler to an adolescent, but it seems pretty likely that Michael and Sybok would have had some kind of relationship.

I've wondered if perhaps they were directly responsible for the way each other turned out. Sybok grows up with a human stepmother and a human foster sister, and sees that Sarek has set the example of accepting humanity. It's easy to see how Sybok sees that the next step to take would be a return to Vulcan's emotional, human-like past. In turn, it's also easy to see how a young Michael, grateful to Sarek, would try to compensate for Sybok's rebellion by becoming the replacement dutifully logical child. These kinds of things happen regularly in blended families, after all. Why not Sarek's?
    I'm sure there's some great 80's family sitcom joke to be made here, but I'm just not good enough. Sorry.

Whatcha talkin' bout, Sybok?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »

Vulcan Shameless
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole family needs a reality show. They put the "dys" in dysfunctional. Call it "Sarek Knows Best."
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    [10F] NewtonianQBalls[10F] NewtonianQBalls ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Waiting for Surek’s stats to see if he is more than a DIP primary 5*. If he is I will be putting my honor somewhere else.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    need skill numbers
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nabbing Surak and (depending on Amanda's stats) will be done after that for this one
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    Nabbing Surak and (depending on Amanda's stats) will be done after that for this one

I dunno. If he's got decent stats, Kolinahr Spock could be pretty awesome to have.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Yateball wrote: »

I dunno. If he's got decent stats, Kolinahr Spock could be pretty awesome to have.

Especially if they do the art well. I'm a fan of shaggy-haired Spock.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor