Home The Bridge
Options

Key information about the event: Father of Logic - 04/05

Comments

• Options
    NeemsNeems ✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »
    Nabbing Surak and (depending on Amanda's stats) will be done after that for this one

I dunno. If he's got decent stats, Kolinahr Spock could be pretty awesome to have.

Especially if they do the art well. I'm a fan of shaggy-haired Spock.

The current Twitter/FB Icon for the STT account:

w8hw6k1safwy.png
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is, um, yeah...
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Neems wrote: »
    Nabbing Surak and (depending on Amanda's stats) will be done after that for this one

I dunno. If he's got decent stats, Kolinahr Spock could be pretty awesome to have.

Especially if they do the art well. I'm a fan of shaggy-haired Spock.

The current Twitter/FB Icon for the STT account:

w8hw6k1safwy.png

:: sobs::
    🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite the shiner on him
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad. Kinda neat to have some TOS movie crew for an event. I don't think we've had such a concentration of them before. I dig it. Between "Journey to Babel" and The Voyage Home, this was my preferred version of the Jane Wyatt Amanda. It's a good likeness that captures her maternal warmth. Still unfortunately a victim of the broad-stroke aesthetic, though, but I think she's the best looking of this quartet.

Having said that, I find I don't feel especially compelled to chase anyone in this event. I'll play through it, 'cause I'm gonna run shuttles anyway, but Surak is all I'm really after this week.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to admit, I really like the art of Amanda/Wyatt.

The Spock art not so much.

Gonna accentuate the positive and focus on Spocks mom this event.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope their stats are good. It is fun though to get some tos peeps.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this one!
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarek's family is, if you'll forgive me, fascinating when put together. Here's a guy who first marries a Vulcan woman (it's reasonable to infer it was an arranged marriage, as was Spock's to T'Pring) and after her death, marries the human Amanda. Not only do they have Spock together, they also take in Michael Burnham, and to top it all off, Sarek's firstborn, the full-blooded Sybok, goes on to be banished entirely for embracing emotion. Man, what a weird house that must have been when those three were growing up together!

Speaking of whom, I'd genuinely love to see Sybok turn up on Disco. Canonically, the only information established is that Sybok was someone Spock "knew in [his] youth". Memory Alpha shows that Sybok was born in 2224, Michael in 2226, and Spock in 2230. Michael's parents were killed "in the early 2230's". There's a lot of wiggle room for what constituted Spock's "youth"; anything from being a toddler to an adolescent, but it seems pretty likely that Michael and Sybok would have had some kind of relationship.

I've wondered if perhaps they were directly responsible for the way each other turned out. Sybok grows up with a human stepmother and a human foster sister, and sees that Sarek has set the example of accepting humanity. It's easy to see how Sybok sees that the next step to take would be a return to Vulcan's emotional, human-like past. In turn, it's also easy to see how a young Michael, grateful to Sarek, would try to compensate for Sybok's rebellion by becoming the replacement dutifully logical child. These kinds of things happen regularly in blended families, after all. Why not Sarek's?

Now my interest is piqued. I always enjoyed Sybok, but with Spock being such a major character in the franchise, it was quite odd how Sybok was only relegated to a single film. It'd be amazing for Star Trek in general, but definitely for Discovery to explore Sybok and his family's ties more.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    I know people are already criticizing the art for this week’s coming event but I have to say, I think it looks good, like really good, Spock included. True, his hair is a bit blocky and we’re still getting globs of orange and other colors thrown on their clothing here and there but all in all, it’s MUCH better. The art looks like the characters it’s trying to portray, and that’s basically what matters, so to me, it’s all good. I’m sure others will complain, but after all, that’s what the forum is for.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know people are already criticizing the art for this week’s coming event but I have to say, I think it looks good, like really good, Spock included. True, his hair is a bit blocky and we’re still getting globs of orange and other colors thrown on their clothing here and there but all in all, it’s MUCH better. The art looks like the characters it’s trying to portray, and that’s basically what matters, so to me, it’s all good. I’m sure others will complain, but after all, that’s what the forum is for.

I think the likenesses are all terrific. The coloring is my only complaint.
  • Options
    JassadaJassada ✭✭✭
    Oh, now I *really* want Amanda! I want Spock too, despite the hair, but that is going to be hard.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarek's family is, if you'll forgive me, fascinating when put together. Here's a guy who first marries a Vulcan woman (it's reasonable to infer it was an arranged marriage, as was Spock's to T'Pring) and after her death, marries the human Amanda. Not only do they have Spock together, they also take in Michael Burnham, and to top it all off, Sarek's firstborn, the full-blooded Sybok, goes on to be banished entirely for embracing emotion. Man, what a weird house that must have been when those three were growing up together!

Speaking of whom, I'd genuinely love to see Sybok turn up on Disco. Canonically, the only information established is that Sybok was someone Spock "knew in [his] youth". Memory Alpha shows that Sybok was born in 2224, Michael in 2226, and Spock in 2230. Michael's parents were killed "in the early 2230's". There's a lot of wiggle room for what constituted Spock's "youth"; anything from being a toddler to an adolescent, but it seems pretty likely that Michael and Sybok would have had some kind of relationship.

I've wondered if perhaps they were directly responsible for the way each other turned out. Sybok grows up with a human stepmother and a human foster sister, and sees that Sarek has set the example of accepting humanity. It's easy to see how Sybok sees that the next step to take would be a return to Vulcan's emotional, human-like past. In turn, it's also easy to see how a young Michael, grateful to Sarek, would try to compensate for Sybok's rebellion by becoming the replacement dutifully logical child. These kinds of things happen regularly in blended families, after all. Why not Sarek's?

Now my interest is piqued. I always enjoyed Sybok, but with Spock being such a major character in the franchise, it was quite odd how Sybok was only relegated to a single film. It'd be amazing for Star Trek in general, but definitely for Discovery to explore Sybok and his family's ties more.

To be fair, he didn't exist at all until he was invented for that one film. Since then, the only content set during Sybok's lifetime has been the Kelvin movie series and now Disco. ENT did give us some surprisingly complex sociopolitical stuff about Vulcan, though, and as I watched those episodes, I couldn't help but wonder what influence that all had on Sybok.

When we saw Sarek through Spock's eyes, we saw a cold, remote, overly critical, and prideful father who was frankly a stuck-up jerk. Sybok seemed certain to be an even greater black sheep, because if Spock earned his scorn for crying upon birth, what could Sarek possibly have thought of Sybok rejecting Vulcan philosophy so much that they actually banished him? It looks at first like a career-minded man with a screw-up son and a dysfunctional relationship with the other.

But now let's look at Sarek with the wider lens. He's born in 2165, just nine years after all the stuff went down on Vulcan with the Syrannites and the mind meld taboo finally beginning to break. Think of anyone born in, say, the 1970's after the civil rights act of 1964. Obviously, bigotry still exists and is handed down to this day, so it's unlikely that Sarek's childhood was one where mind melds were mainstream. We do know, however, that he embraced them. He may even have embraced them over his own father's objections, just as so many of us reject what we see as the backward ways of our parents and their generation. (You can see where I'm going with this.)

So Sarek embraces mind melding; embraces humanity both professionally as Vulcan's ambassador and personally (marrying Amanda, taking in Michael, later marrying Perrin); and he embraces Vulcan mysticism. Remember, the fal-tor-pan ceremony he arranges for Spock had "not been performed for many ages, and even then, only in legend." It's not just a desperate long shot Sarek is taking; he knows the history that mainstream Vulcans had tried to obscure as recently as just a few years before he was born.

In this light, I think Sybok is very much Sarek's son; perhaps the most natural extension of him, really. We can wonder what kept Sarek from taking that last step that Sybok did take toward emotion and away from logic. Had Sarek experimented with emotions in college? Did he get it out of his system then? What role did Sybok's mother--a Vulcan priestess--have as an influence on either Sarek or him? Was she the one who introduced Sarek to things like fal-tor-pan? Were they basically Vulcan hippies? Did he envy Sybok for being bold enough to push ahead? Had he and Sybok ever melded?

I don't think we necessarily "need" to see these pieces put together in DIS, but I do think there's enough to work with that a legitimate story could be constructed that would be more than mere continuity name-checking fan service.

Also, I feel like I just laid out the case for why all Sarek personae should have the Maverick trait.

Developing this storyline would be a fantastic way to make up for the Space Orcs and pulse phasers. And maybe make me watch season 2 (and finish season 1), under a new free trial with a different email address of course.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Art all looks pretty good. It looks like they may have done this art a little earlier, during their "big paintbrush" phase.

I'm glad they got Jane Wyatt's Amanda Grayson and the likeness is well-done.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Art is great -- and I've never cared about the art before. They chose the right Amanda, in my opinion, too. I'm more stoked for this event than anything we've had to date.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    So they're back to the blurred, non-detailed, crummy art then?
    Spock's hair is all I need to see to realized they've gone lazy again
  • Options
    So they're back to the blurred, non-detailed, crummy art then?
    Spock's hair is all I need to see to realized they've gone lazy again

We know Surak was made a while ago when he briefly made a previous appearance in cryo. It's possible a lot of this art is actually older (perhaps this mega was even supposed to happen earlier), and it's not the art degrading, just art from their bad art phase.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI the event announcement and packs might happen a bit later than Noon ET.
  • Options
    SiblinSiblin ✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »

Waaaat? I’m sat here with a stack of dilithium burning a hole in my pocket here Shan ;)

Can you confirm Surak will be event only and not available in packs until after the mega event as per previous?
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for letting us know. Lunch time at the gym then! :)
  • Options
    Siblin wrote: »

Waaaat? I’m sat here with a stack of dilithium burning a hole in my pocket here Shan ;)

Can you confirm Surak will be event only and not available in packs until after the mega event as per previous?

It has been that way for literally every mega recurring character ever. It's pretty safe to assume that will continue to be the case.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options

@Shan I will forgive you if there are crew slots given out for the mega event and a 50% off crew slot sale.
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan

Do you know if this delay will be under an hour? I only have an hour lunch at work.
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan

Do you know if this delay will be under an hour? I only have an hour lunch at work.

If the over/under is 1 hour, I'd say good money is in the over bet with their track record
  • Options
    barrydancerbarrydancer ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, crap. I was hoping to be able to use the hour I had left on my supply kit to do some leveling of the new crew...