Home The Bridge

Neverending Campaign speculations

Comments

• TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    Oddly, for an older 2-skill 5* crew, the early response in this thread is relatively positive. Count me in the smiling :) group as well. Just got Desert G's first star from a meh behold in the recent honor sale, and because I presciently took her over Beowulf Kim, she'll be FF'd. Precience, luck, or a reflexive aversion to the word Beowulf due to an excessive month-long deep-dive analysis of the play in 9th grade English class, whatever - I'm in for the campaign.

Same. :) I’m meh about the Sulu (because I already have him) but I ain’t got that Georgiou!
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping STT celebrates Pride again next June. I know there was some grumbling last year, but diversity has always been a central pillar of Star Trek, and I think a stronger character would go over better. (Sorry Kahn!)

Unfortunately most Adiras, Culbers, Stamets, and Renos are either very new and unlikely to be used, or older cards with underwhelming stats. This is particularly true amount Super Rares. Dax offers may more choices, including some solid SRs, but has some similar problems.

Granted, they could probably use any legendary Dax and folks would be pretty happy. I know Niners is the obvious choice, but personally I'd lean more towards Alternative Future or Bell Riots.

As for the SR, Flustered Jett Reno would be awesome, but most campaign choices are available in the portal, and she is not.

I don't recall them ever doing anything for Black History Month. If they do Pride a second time, it might set a few people off because they are choosing one minority over another. If they want to celebrate IDIC every June, that might be seen a little more favorably across the community. It's a Trek thing, after all. Frankly, if they do Pride again, I'll probably avoid the forum that week.

Considering how angry people were at the very concept of STT celebrating Pride, I wouldn't be surprised if they deliberately avoided labeling the Making History campaign as Black History month. I'd like to see them continue to celebrate these months, but the deft and subtlety of how it was handled in February is probably the better approach to avoid calling out the hoardes of homophobes and racists.
  • TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping STT celebrates Pride again next June. I know there was some grumbling last year, but diversity has always been a central pillar of Star Trek, and I think a stronger character would go over better. (Sorry Kahn!)

Unfortunately most Adiras, Culbers, Stamets, and Renos are either very new and unlikely to be used, or older cards with underwhelming stats. This is particularly true amount Super Rares. Dax offers may more choices, including some solid SRs, but has some similar problems.

Granted, they could probably use any legendary Dax and folks would be pretty happy. I know Niners is the obvious choice, but personally I'd lean more towards Alternative Future or Bell Riots.

As for the SR, Flustered Jett Reno would be awesome, but most campaign choices are available in the portal, and she is not.

I don't recall them ever doing anything for Black History Month. If they do Pride a second time, it might set a few people off because they are choosing one minority over another. If they want to celebrate IDIC every June, that might be seen a little more favorably across the community. It's a Trek thing, after all. Frankly, if they do Pride again, I'll probably avoid the forum that week.

Considering how angry people were at the very concept of STT celebrating Pride, I wouldn't be surprised if they deliberately avoided labeling the Making History campaign as Black History month. I'd like to see them continue to celebrate these months, but the deft and subtlety of how it was handled in February is probably the better approach to avoid calling out the hoardes of homophobes and racists.

ut4xl83n6rkg.png

• StephLovesVoyagerStephLovesVoyager ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends how you look at it. You could say it's heavily implied in the announcement [...] But they didn't come out and say it like they did with Pride last year.

Fair enough, thanks @Prime Lorca [10FH]. I'm not in the US so I'm not as familiar with what counts or not, so I made the assumption.

Back to this campaign... I think I might buy the premium track? Maybe?? I have both of these cards languishing at 1* already. If I could immortalise both of them to free up 2 slots, plus hit up collections, plus get the extra goodies on the premium track, I feel like it would be worth the money as a once-off buy. I have a gift card that I've been holding onto for a Janeway campaign but I feel like if I let this one slide I'll have Georgiou languish at 1/5 forever :/
    Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends how you look at it. You could say it's heavily implied in the announcement [...] But they didn't come out and say it like they did with Pride last year.

Fair enough, thanks @Prime Lorca [10FH]. I'm not in the US so I'm not as familiar with what counts or not, so I made the assumption.

Back to this campaign... I think I might buy the premium track? Maybe?? I have both of these cards languishing at 1* already. If I could immortalise both of them to free up 2 slots, plus hit up collections, plus get the extra goodies on the premium track, I feel like it would be worth the money as a once-off buy. I have a gift card that I've been holding onto for a Janeway campaign but I feel like if I let this one slide I'll have Georgiou languish at 1/5 forever :/

Careful, you might actually start ranking highly in events with thoughts like this. :D

But seriously, we really need to get you ranking higher... :)
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1575 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • StephLovesVoyagerStephLovesVoyager ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    Careful, you might actually start ranking highly in events with thoughts like this. :D

I already have in mind when I break past #1,500 to ask @Captain Idol for a shout-out on Timelines Talks :DB)
    Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • Captain IdolCaptain Idol ✭✭✭✭✭

I already have in mind when I break past #1,500 to ask @Captain Idol for a shout-out on Timelines Talks :DB)

If you make it let us know, we'll give you an Allamarain!
  • TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    May is Asian/Pacific Islander Month and June is Pride. We are getting Michelle Yeoh, who I love, and Takei, who sometimes grates on my nerves. It covers both in a way.
    I'm hoping June's is really good, maybe even a brand new gold. It would be 18 months since we got Scrooge Data and June is players choice month. I've got my fingers crossed for a gold "Picard" variant of Seven, either as the Achievement or the campaign. The top base for Med is fairly new. Hoshi is holding her own for Dip. The Tribble unseated Keiko just this year. Pupcard is fairly new for Sci. Eng and Sec are coming due for a boost. "Avenging Seven" as straight Sec would be iconic.

She is an amazing woman who in my opinion doesn’t get enough credit over here. She quite literally drove a motorcycle onto a moving train. (Stunt doubles? Lol.)

https://youtu.be/hTv7HXqqqXA
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember them getting hit from both sides. And iirc, the more vocal crowd was the "you didn't do good enough for Pride month" crowd. As I said earlier, it just tends to be a can of worms, best left unopened. That's why I also prefer the subtle approach. People who don't want to be clubbed over the head with politics in their entertainment outlet still get their dose of diversity. Everyone wins, imo.
    Farewell 🖖
  • I'm hoping STT celebrates Pride again next June. I know there was some grumbling last year, but diversity has always been a central pillar of Star Trek, and I think a stronger character would go over better. (Sorry Kahn!)

I remember them getting hit from both sides. And iirc, the more vocal crowd was the "you didn't do good enough for Pride month" crowd. As I said earlier, it just tends to be a can of worms, best left unopened. That's why I also prefer the subtle approach. People who don't want to be clubbed over the head with politics in their entertainment outlet still get their dose of diversity. Everyone wins, imo.

To be honest, with the exception of one or two contributors, the whole thing was very civil and there was nothing wrong with having that discussion. We discuss all sorts of things on here all of the time and go off topic half of the time. It's a Star Trek fanbase after all, we like to be Vulcan about stuff.

That campaign was however a part of their marketing strategy and one that backfired, not so much because it wasn't appreciated by the niche they were targeting, but because they misjudged how their wider audience would react to it. I don't expect them to do it again.
  • cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang. Sulu has been FFE for quite awhile and Im 4/5 on Philippa already. :-(
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭

To be honest, with the exception of one or two contributors, the whole thing was very civil and there was nothing wrong with having that discussion. We discuss all sorts of things on here all of the time and go off topic half of the time. It's a Star Trek fanbase after all, we like to be Vulcan about stuff.

That campaign was however a part of their marketing strategy and one that backfired, not so much because it wasn't appreciated by the niche they were targeting, but because they misjudged how their wider audience would react to it. I don't expect them to do it again.

The niche audience also expressed dissatisfaction at the beginning of this thread before it went off the rails.
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/comment/212490#Comment_212490
    It was civil, as you say, but also a bit disgruntled. As you'll see, the first couple posts expressing concerns about the crew selection received 10+ awesomes. That's why I think my assessment was fair.

Regardless, WRG seems to have found the middle path. There hasn't been much controversy. They are providing diverse representation and everyone seems to be happy, but a few who already have Georgiou immortalized. Personally, this is the only Georgiou that I don't have immortalized, so I am very happy to buy this campaign. That's not to mention my S31 Georgiou's. I lost track of how many I have. I just can't seem to airlock her for some reason. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • I'm hoping STT celebrates Pride again next June. I know there was some grumbling last year, but diversity has always been a central pillar of Star Trek, and I think a stronger character would go over better. (Sorry Kahn!)

The niche audience also expressed dissatisfaction at the beginning of this thread before it went off the rails.
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/comment/212490#Comment_212490
    It was civil, as you say, but also a bit disgruntled. As you'll see, the first couple posts expressing concerns about the crew selection received 10+ awesomes. That's why I think my assessment was fair.

Regardless, WRG seems to have found the middle path. There hasn't been much controversy. They are providing diverse representation and everyone seems to be happy, but a few who already have Georgiou immortalized. Personally, this is the only Georgiou that I don't have immortalized, so I am very happy to buy this campaign. That's not to mention my S31 Georgiou's. I lost track of how many I have. I just can't seem to airlock her for some reason. :)

I know that they did, but it was reasonable and I don't see why they shouldn't discuss the choice of character. There are discussions on every campaign and everything WRG/TP does. It wasn't a pitchforks kind of situation.

However, the way I remember it, it quickly turned into a confrontation between "the niche" and the people who dislike the niche, while everyone else either stayed out of it or expressed their annoyance at the fact that we were having a conversation at all.

Which led me to the conclusion that they misjudged the way the majority of their audience stands on this topic. And that's why I don't think they will do it again.

They might add a new queer character during the month of June with no comment, but that's something different from the themed campaign. It's the same as adding a new Archer because they know that some of their players are Enterprise fans. It doesn't show where they stand on the topic.

Which is also fine, they don't have to do that. They're a business trying to make money, not a human rights organization.
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Trollita She is a force, but a subtle one. One of the few TV channels we had when I was a kid played a lot of action movies, like four or five a day during weekends and one over night. This included the Asian subtitle stuff, so I saw some of her earliest work pretty young. I'm looking forward to the Section 31 series because of her.

As for the other issues... they try to have something thematic and whatever the month is an easy option. You can't please everyone. Someone will be unhappy and someone will love it. The reason rarely matters. I focus on the crew, so why they were picked doesn't matter much to me, though I do like the theme idea. I'm happy with the crew we're getting. The purple is probably honor or a last star or two for me at this point, so I don't have high hopes. The goods have been very good to me lately. Most have been someone I had at 1/5*. Those 4 additional stars on Saru let me freeze Medic Paris from the Med boost.
    I don't like stuff shoved in my face, but I'm okay with it in general. Since they have covered May and June's month, maybe they will do sports for the Olympics.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the inclusiveness and appreciate the efforts by WRG in that regard. For me I am not a big spender, so any campaign I buy has to have a legendary I can use. Lenara was a very cool card but two-skilled and poor stats so I didn’t buy that campaign. This Georgiou is another two-skiller but has collections and will get event use which makes it a little better. Sadly, I already have this Georgiou immortalized and could not use a second copy so likely will not buy this campaign either.
    Let’s fly!
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to the skillet as the 5* for a minute. Unless a crew slot sale happens soon™️, then I would be using a 5* citation to freeze her for a slot. This will influence my personal purchase decision-making. YMMV
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • For those who don't have Georgiou FF, she's a collection beast. 3 stat boosters!

I was going to pass on this campaign, I've never bought a 2 skill campaign before, but because she's in 3 different collections I guess I'll make an exception. I'll buy here once I have all 4 copies so I can cite immediately and cryo.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I still play the game in a month from now I will probably buy the campaign at the end, given I managed to reach tier 100 despite my diminishing enthusiasm for STT.

So I am not sure at the moment.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
    If I still play the game in a month from now I will probably buy the campaign at the end, given I managed to reach tier 100 despite my diminishing enthusiasm for STT.

That last mega was awesome though.
    Let’s fly!
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭

That last mega was awesome though.

Regarding the rewards it was. But the new crew from the mega is as bored as the old one has been already, and so am I. :'(
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got the fourth star for Desert Georgiou, so that means the next campaign should be announced soon. Begin your speculation!

With the intro of the Xindi-Aquatic Counselor last month, I had my heart set on a Delphic Campaign. I'd love either Xindi-Insectoid Counselor or Sphere-Builder Presage as the 5*; maybe Tarquin or Commander Dolim as the 4*.

A fun, out-of-the-blue theme could be the Animated Series: Aleek-Om as the 4* and Shiboline M’Ress as the 5*.

If they continued the DS9 quasi-theme of the Mega, a good one would be Conflicted Sisko as the 5* and Heist Bashir for the 4*.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 17hr, 20min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1575 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)

Just got the fourth star for Desert Georgiou, so that means the next campaign should be announced soon. Begin your speculation!

I think it will be Gray and Jett Reno from Discovery and the artwork will look something like this:

a5b8en202mwt.png
    Let’s fly!
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really, another 2 skill leg crew, back to back? 😒

fpurnenw3xs3.jpeg
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard great things about Jett Reno in the arena/skirmishes.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard great things about Jett Reno in the arena/skirmishes.

Yes. I replaced a Sledgehammer with her. She is great.
    "The truth is like a lion; you don't have to defend it. Let it loose; it will defend itself."
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

I think it will be Gray and Jett Reno from Discovery and the artwork will look something like this:

a5b8en202mwt.png

Ha! I had an entire paragraph written about the "obvious option is a Pride Month theme but they probably wouldn't do that again!" I really should go with my gut next time. :D

This is a good option for me, as I have that Reno at 3 stars. I'm happy! :)
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, I can finish them both. Gray for the freezer, instead of having to wait for the portal, and Reno will give me a boost to my Engineering roster.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*