Home The Bridge

Key information about the event: The Galactic Series - 03/15 - Updated 03/15

Comments

• Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Please see our announcement regarding this here.

Do you recommend that each and every person send in a ticket to compensate for the losses that we incurred because of this miscommunication or will there be a global compensation? I'll be asking for a minimum of 500 chronitons. I expect that it will cost me even more than that.
  • AviTrek wrote: »
    Please see our announcement regarding this here.

Shan, we asked about 1 faction, you went back to check and explicitly clarified that they would stay at 20. Now you're saying, oops that was wrong, it's going to vary. I'm less concerned with the number of missions and more concerned with that you provided false information even after clarifying. What is being done to insure that the next time you provide the players with information it will be correct?

Nothing. Or this wouldn't keep happening.

I think the issue is, and they have been really hit or miss with this, is that a quick response with fair compensation usually calms everyone down.

This time we were literally just told "we didn't tell you. we will tell you from now on"

Thanks DB. That is literally the most useless response that could have been given.
  • MicrohopperMicrohopper ✭✭✭✭

What is DB's plan for compensating players who planned and/or spent (real and/or in-game currencies) over the past week, while preparing for this event, based on the miscommunication from DB?

Also, are we correct is inferring that the number of shuttle missions, regardless of event type or number of factions, will essentially be inconsistent going forward?

Actually, I think the message is, "We're not going to tell you, so you can't yell at us if we mess it up."
    (Signed, Not a troll. Just haven't taken the time to fix my identification name...busy with life.)
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just figured that what was meant by number of missions varying by event was that in a Hybrid, we'd have a lower standard number (apparently 12 for a single faction) than for a full Faction (6 apiece for three factions).

That would make sense to me, though I readily concede I'm essentially doing DB's job for them on this if that even is what they mean because nothing explained to us so far explicitly establishes that this schema is what was meant.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Siblin wrote: »
    I can not believe some of the over-the-top reaction on here. Seriously what has this cost you, a couple of hundred merits on shuttle missions YOU CAN STILL USE (on the next event maybe?) and should be able to make up in a few rounds on the gauntlet, and not getting as much of an unfair advantage from exploiting a glitch in the game others might not know about.

This issue affects everyone equally, and doesn’t mean you personally are going to rank any lower.

@Shan - please make sure the devs know these things happen, it’s not a big deal, the artwork for this event is vastly improved and recent improvements to the cryo vault etc are top.

The bolded part is simply not true. Certain decisions made over the course of the past week were entirely dependent on the information provided by DB (ie: deliberately not farming Klingon or Romulan specific faction items, since the event would provide ample opportunity to do so), which could absolutely cause some players to be less competitive than they otherwise would have been (ie: a secondary event crew cannot be fully equipped now without certain Klingon items, meaning the crew member gives less of a boost in faction missions).

It's also just the principle of adjusting game play and/or spending (really money and/or in-game currencies) based on official DB communication, which impacts your overall game play for both the current event and in general.
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can not believe some of the over-the-top reaction on here. Seriously what has this cost you, a couple of hundred merits on shuttle missions YOU CAN STILL USE (on the next event maybe?) and should be able to make up in a few rounds on the gauntlet, and not getting as much of an unfair advantage from exploiting a glitch in the game others might not know about.

This issue affects everyone equally, and doesn’t mean you personally are going to rank any lower.

@Shan - please make sure the devs know these things happen, it’s not a big deal, the artwork for this event is vastly improved and recent improvements to the cryo vault etc are top.

I have absolutely no reason to run Romulan shuttles right now, but I bought a bunch of transmissions as soon as the event was announced, because I wanted to keep my options open in case the Romulan missions were best-suited to my crew.

So now I've spent almost 200 merits on something I may not use for another month or so. Regardless of how easily I can replace them, that's still them being *replaced*, as opposed to being able to be re-allocated elsewhere.

And then there's the general frustration with the pattern of misinformation, time lost thinking that maybe this is a bug and I shouldn't start this because what if they fix it and stuff gets messed up etc.

I can see why people are upset. I would actually rather this had been a bug. Then I could say "these things happen" with a little more confidence. You say "these things happen" when your kid accidentally drops their ice cream cone and you buy them a new one. Miscommunication? On this level? That's not "these things happen". That's incompetence and it's unfortunately a pattern now. Shan isn't being given the information she should be given, and that's a real issue.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    If in preparation for the event you have purchased transmissions for the 2 factions that were erroneously announced you can of course submit a ticket to have those reversed. To ensure a quick turn around make sure to be very concise and precise in your ticket.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have already closed down a couple of threads, I guess hitting a little too close to home, expect this one to be shut down soon as well.......
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • SiblinSiblin ✭✭✭
    Grant77 wrote: »

Spending half of my lunch break at work trying to figure out what was going on was rather upsetting. This will also cost players hundreds of chronitons if they can't clear the threshold rewards in the faction portion. Finally, the very fact that we were misled (about the factions) and lied to (about number of transmissions) is just not acceptable.

I don’t have time to respond to everyone’s response to me, so I’ll just summarise by saying the impact is minor at best. You know DB will mail some merits or chrons which will compensate so why all the venom?

On this particular one though, so your two complaints are
    A) that when it let you open 12 missions from one faction you then scratched your head for an hour?
    And
    B) you might not get nurse garlands jumper in the event and might have to play the game a little bit more to make it? If playing the game is that much of a hassle perhaps it’s not for you

• They have already closed down a couple of threads, I guess hitting a little too close to home, expect this one to be shut down soon as well.......

Yeah, that's what they do nowadays. Censor and close everything they don't want to respond to
  • Of all the stuff in this thread and on the forums today, all you have is oops and submit a ticket?
    <TGE> The Gluten Empire
  • Captain QCaptain Q ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    So there was some miscommunications on our end, and this event will only have 1 faction.
    My apologies.

<*Magically waves hand*> "These are not the factions you're looking for..."
    Event factions
    Ferengi Traditionalists, Romulan Star Empire, Klingon Empire

Hmm... Yes... I see... "Four legs good, two legs better..."

Guess we should be chanting: "Yes DB! We will spend harder! 20 missions good, 12 missions better!"
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"

Spending half of my lunch break at work trying to figure out what was going on was rather upsetting. This will also cost players hundreds of chronitons if they can't clear the threshold rewards in the faction portion. Finally, the very fact that we were misled (about the factions) and lied to (about number of transmissions) is just not acceptable.

I don’t have time to respond to everyone’s response to me, so I’ll just summarise by saying the impact is minor at best. You know DB will mail some merits or chrons which will compensate so why all the venom?

Um, no. Part of the reason people are upset is that it doesn't look like any mail will be sent out with compensation. We were all told to open a ticket if we specifically spent merits on Romulans/Klingons (which is fine if you did that, but doesn't work as a general apology). So your assumption will likely prove false.

Time will tell though.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have absolutely no reason to run Romulan shuttles right now, but I bought a bunch of transmissions as soon as the event was announced, because I wanted to keep my options open in case the Romulan missions were best-suited to my crew.

I've been sending out one Romulan shuttle in each of my non-event waves lately in anticipation of next month's mega-event featuring Romulans. But then, I have the luxury of doing that since I'm caught up on my crew. I can easily appreciate how disappointing it is for players who are working on Romulans (or Klingons) and expected to be able to double dip by running those shuttles this weekend.

I would hasten to add, though, that since this is only a hybrid, everyone can get back to running whatever shuttles they want on Saturday afternoon. It's still an inconvenience, yes, but it's not the loss of half a week that a full Faction event would represent.

Plus, we'll have lots of Gold-Pressed Latinum, Isolinear Chips, and Spices to use in Phase 2, so there's that.
    edited March 2018

I've been sending out one Romulan shuttle in each of my non-event waves lately in anticipation of next month's mega-event featuring Romulans. But then, I have the luxury of doing that since I'm caught up on my crew. I can easily appreciate how disappointing it is for players who are working on Romulans (or Klingons) and expected to be able to double dip by running those shuttles this weekend.

I would hasten to add, though, that since this is only a hybrid, everyone can get back to running whatever shuttles they want on Saturday afternoon. It's still an inconvenience, yes, but it's not the loss of half a week that a full Faction event would represent.

Plus, we'll have lots of Gold-Pressed Latinum, Isolinear Chips, and Spices to use in Phase 2, so there's that.

I'd rather run a bunch of Romulan shuttles after the event has been confirmed. But than, maybe I can't even trust that? (sorry, I had to)

But yeah, this week I had to run a bunch of unexpected Bajoran shuttles to level up my Niners Kira who ran out of Bajoran earrings by lvl50. And otherwise all my shuttles are usually for levelling crew, I don't typically get to run "far in advance" shuttles like you were doing.

The Spices will be nice, I always hate getting those (but not as much as I hate that darned hyperspanner), though not really enough to make up for my frustration/disappointment today.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • First off Shan my apologies for you getting the brunt of this. You have to post the information that is given to you and it isn't your fault. This is directed at the people giving you said information.

"We previously announced that there would be three factions involved in this event, but there will only be one: the Ferengi Traditionalists. This was a miscommunication on our part, and is not a bug."

You needed more time to get the correct information. Take longer to put up the original information and get it wrong in probably the biggest way yet. Call it a miscommunication, call it the dog eating your homework, but from the outside it is (unintentionally but still) a lie. The underlying cause is semantics and makes no difference to the player base.

"In our original announcement, we stated that events with a single faction would remain unchanged and would provide 20 unique missions. This was incorrect. For events involving faction missions, the number of unique missions will depend on the nature of the event."

That was about 6 weeks ago and you are just now learning that it is incorrect? I would like to know when that changed internally. Be open about how when, and what went wrong if you want to regain some trust. Fluctuating numbers of faction missions will make no one happy. Everyone has different strategies that they use to hopefully get up to 4000 vp missions as soon as they can and having to guess what that is going to be once the event starts will make people angrier. Consistency is I believe what most people would like to see.

"We apologize for the confusion."

This one actually bothers me. From the player side we have no confusion. We prepared to play a 3 faction, 6 missions per faction shuttle event lasting for 48 hours. Following that up is a 48 hour galaxy event for the second half. That was the information we had for a number of days. It is obvious from the posts and previous events that is what was expected. I appreciate the apology but please do it for messing up or changing things without letting us know but not any confusion because we don't have any.

To the people just venting I get it but constructive and civil discussion is the best way to go. Thank you for the work you do Shan.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • edited March 2018

On this particular one though, so your two complaints are
    A) that when it let you open 12 missions from one faction you then scratched your head for an hour?
    And
    B) you might not get nurse garlands jumper in the event and might have to play the game a little bit more to make it? If playing the game is that much of a hassle perhaps it’s not for you

You are completely missing the actual point of our arguments. DB outright lied to us over a month ago about the mechanics of these types of events. They lied about how many Factions were going to be featured in this event. Literally no one was prepared for the mechanics they threw at us once the event went live as it completely went against what we were told over a month ago when we inquired about the changes to Faction events and Faction portions of Hybrid events. People spent in-game currency as well as real money to prepare based on what has happened in the past and the word that DB gave us then and earlier this week. That preparation went in the garbage when the event went live and we saw the changes.

The scores for the start of the event were ridiculously low and still are. That should show you how badly players were affected by these unexpected changes. I would not be surprised that players who were ready to begin playing just said “screw it” after seeing only one Faction and the max opened shuttles was twelve and not twenty like we were told would remain the same with a single Faction in an event.

DB is losing money on these moves. Forcing players to spend money will net them less money since feeling forced to do something eliminates any interest in performing those tasks and actions as opposed to feeling you have a choice. DB is only shooting itself in the foot and they just allowed a whole barrel to go off at once in it.
    There are three ways to do something; the right way, the wrong way, and the Janeway.

DB: Do Better.

Member of Starship Trista
  • PompeyMagnusPompeyMagnus ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a big deal. More of a nuisance or mild speed bump, if anything.

Instead of completing the threshold rewards before phase 2 and quitting, I may have to spend some chrons and build some items. Whatever. Between now and noon on Saturday I can probably save up 1000-1500 chrons from tomorrow's cadet challenges and running 6-7 hour long voyages per day (nets me about 250-400 chrons usually). If that's not enough then I have all of Sunday and Monday morning to finish it off.

I'm still going to get there, it might just take me a little longer. Oh well.
  • Shan wrote: »
    So there was some miscommunications on our end, and this event will only have 1 faction.
    My apologies.

If i remember correct, when you announced the reduction of max open missions for 2/3 faction events, you stated that 1 faction events still have the max of 20 missions, and now its 12 only. Another misscommunication? @Shan

Double fail. Can we get some consistency please?

Oh but they are consistent... At their inconsistencies!